1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9/11 conspiracy theories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Sep 11, 2008.

1. KG

KG Active Member

Re: 9/11: Real or fake?

I believe Bush was aware of a major threat, and I believe things were being done behind the scenes to try to stop it. About a month before the attacks, I was taking the kids (I was a nanny) to storytime one day and the metro Atlanta area was crawling with military forces. They were even directing traffic in a couple of intersections I went through. I never heard anything about it, so I forgot about it until Sept. 11.

I never did hear anything about why they were there that day.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Real. The explanation for any phenomenon should make as few assumptions as possible, and it would take a helluva conspiracy to work all that out.

And if it turns out I'm wrong, forget about lethal injection for anybody involved in the conspiracy. Execution by firing squad will get everyone's attention.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And they aren't contained enough to keep it from leaking out.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Aren't we, for the most part, journalists here? Aren't we better than this? Smart enough to know bullshit when we see it and not give it a second chance?

Every single time a thread like this gets started (and it's always started the same way, I don't believe it myself, but people keep asking) it fucking galls me to no end.

We have a lot of NYC people here who saw it. I drove by a giant ass hole in the Pentagon too many fucking nights in 2001 and 2002. It was abso-fucking-lutely real and it wasn't some piece of shit missile that just appeared out of no where in a highly populated area that no one actually saw until it exploded while people I see at work almost every day heard a fucking airplane fly right past their apartment window and explode.

We are way fucking smarter than this bullshit. Lets fucking act like it.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. I'm not laying any blame at the doorstep of the Oval Office. With all the supposedly brilliant minds we have working on behalf of our national security, why is it impossible to think outside the box? The possibility is dismissed just because no one had ever done this before? I don't know what it costs to upgrade one door on an airliner, but it's peanuts.

6. KG

KG Active Member

I try to stay away from conspiracy theories, so I hadn't heard most of the ones mentioned here.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Excellent points, of course. And I agree.

But then I remember the breathless "Who does Palin's baby REALLY belong to?!?!?!?!?!" posts.

Some want to believe the bullshit stories, for their own reasons.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Fuck them.

9. Re: 9/11: Real or fake?

I think it was the goddam Alaskans. They did this just to create a climate where their Gov. can be made the running mate....

10. Re: 9/11: Real or fake?

Palin's baby was a product of Area 51. Hell, don't you people watch King of the Hill?

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Problem is, they get all kinds of briefings like this. Hundreds. Maybe thousands. Most just chatter, of course.

But I liken this event to the Apollo 1 fire. Sure, it was always a possibility. Pumping 100 percent oxygen into a cockpit seems so stupid in light of what happened. But to NASA, every possible disaster scenario involved something happening in space. There was no imagination about a tragedy happening on the ground.

Likewise, there was no imagination about flying planes into buildings. It hadn't ever been done anywhere else.

Let's say that in late August 2001 the FAA announced that as a security precaution, all cockpit doors were going to be strengthened to withstand any intrusion.

However, this was going to mean the cancellation of hundreds of gights over the next several weeks, and the measure would cost the average passenger an additional $50 per flight.

We would have screamed bloody murder at this "overreaction!"

The toughest job any president has is knowing how to react without overreacting. It's a test no one has scored 100 on.

12. Re: 9/11: Real or fake?

ragu, thanks for making 9/11 real for me. i visited ground zero three months later. i had been on the observation deck atop the old south tower.....but i never realized how big the site was. the enormity of the destruction, even months later, still was a bear.

Draft saved Draft deleted