1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9 / 11 Burnout

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 7, 2011.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Really?

Really?

Wow.

I don't even know how to respond to that.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes I do feel that way.

As far as Super Bowl I think your were referring to discussion on reading of The Declaration of Independence. It's been some time but I don't recall 9/11 discussion.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Three planes hit their targets to devastating effect. One plane was brought down by passengers.

If you mean you are glad of the military in general for keeping America safe, fine.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

I hear today we're at a point where you won't have to take off shoes, etc., in airport searches.

That will help.

Terrorists will take the fluid inserts you can buy for shoes and put explosive liquid in those.

At the risk of being labeled a hater of Muslims, we're still missing the point of profiling. And you think it's all about racism, no. If they are profiled, and wind up on a plane, they're not suspiciously looked at by every passenger.

Be honest. There's eight Muslim men sitting together in first class, head garb and all, as you walk past them to your coach seat. Tell me they didn't get your attention and suddenly you're wondering what building you might land in today.

If you have profiling and searches of targeted people, no one gives them a second look.

And the innocent Muslims sitting as a group on a plane doesn't have to put up with the glares they now get.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Pentagon was hit. Staff there immediately went to work trying to evacuate and save people.

Fighter planes were scrambled.

Air Force pilots kept our President safe.

Marine guards at embassies around the globe were put on high alert.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/11/just-asking/6288/

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Thank you.

I mean, for f**k sake.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'll be honest. I was just on international flights last week, and have been on a few in the last 4 years. There have been a large number of Muslim men on those flights, and it didn't give me a moment of unease. I didn't worry that we'd be flying into a building. I was not scared by their "head garb and all."

It's a big ol' world out there, and a lot of it is Muslim. If you are going to be frightened by anyone in a turban, you're going to have a really scary life. And profiling isn't going to raise the comfort level of someone terrified of people with darker skin than their own.

Remember this, as we struggle to make ourselves "safer" -- you are statistically more likely to die of cancer because of the screening machines than you are to die because of a terrorist on your flight. And the odds of cancer is one in 30 million.

Having said all that, I'm not opposed to some level of profiling, mostly so we can stop feeling up little girls at TSA checkpoints and pretending it's necessary for national security.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had to fly into NYC to cover a game about a month after 9/11. I've been to NYC countless times for work and not seeing the towers as we came in to land really got to me.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Look who you're responding to ...

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Guy can dream, can't he?

But while we're going over the top, let's have a couple of family reunions as well. Does nothing say "exploitation" more than a wife/husband/boy/girl seeing mommy/daddy/son/daughter for the first time in months at midfield/home plate? [/bluefont]

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Every Christmas it's Jesus this and Jesus that. OK, we get it, it's his birthday. Everyone has a birthday, can we move on?

Draft saved Draft deleted