1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9 / 11 Burnout

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is the farce that is security a part of feeling burnt out? The NYPD was doing random inspections of vehicles coming into the Citi Field parking lot. The inspection consisted of a quick check with a mirror on the ground, with several officers just going through the motions. If you are going to check vehicles, check everyone and don't half-ass it. Otherwise, security is a waste.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

And funny.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The better you know your enemy, the better you can defend yourself and defeat your enemy, and I don't believe this is true of the leaders -- it's just what they use to talk people into blowing themselves up.

I'm sure they did, if to prevent such a thing in the future. Why do you assume trying to understand why folks hate you means trying to placate them?

If you consider your enemies to be "7th Century maniacs" you underestimate them and dismiss them and allow them to do things that you wouldn't expect a "7th Century maniac" to do -- such as fly a plane into a building.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's interesting that you advocate killing terrorists when you had such a problem with the killing of bin Laden.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is key...

Putting all that aside, I find it impossible to suffer 9/11 "burnout." It was/is history, a day more real and memorable to most of us, on a broad scale, than any other in recent times.

There will never be able to be too much telling, or re-telling of it, particularly at pertinent times like a tenth anniversary. It's that compelling.

For me, it's like all the historical documentaries regarding the American Revolution, D-Day, Pearl Harbor and the people involved in those events. I never tire of hearing about them, and the significance of such days is never lost.

Nor should it be.

9/11 is like that.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Don't put words in my mouth.

I wasn't against killing him, though I think he probably had info we could have used.

I wanted Obama to admit it was a kill mission.

I wanted him to defend a kill mission.

George Bush and/or Dick Cheney would have been asked to, and would have.

Draft saved Draft deleted