1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9/11 and Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 14, 2016.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Enact? Sure.

Enforcing it would be another matter.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, I hope you're right, Baron, but we seem to have a lot of assets sitting in a lot of other countries that we'd be putting at risk. This needs to be well thought out.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got to think there is something at play here - beyond the 28 pages. You don't get Schumer and Cornyn teaming up on a bill, a segment on 60 Minutes and a pending lawsuit all getting attention a week or so ahead of a Presidential visit to Saudi Arabia. This happened 15 years ago - people just noticed all this stuff now?

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

We sure as hell didn't "just notice" it--at least not everyone--there obviously was a full court press by plenty in our govt to hide this shit for well over a decade after 9/11.

The Saudis are just the worst goddamn "allies" ever. In a region full of corrupt backward medieval regimes, it appears we've chosen about the most corrupt medieval fuckers of the bunch to be our supposed buddies in the region--you know, cuz they got the money, oil and all. It's flat embarrassing the way we've felt forced to kiss their backwards asses the last half-century.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    old_tony likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

All I'm saying is that I find the confluence of events related to their involvement in 9/11 interesting. It might be simply to gain leverage on them for some specific purpose. Usually the US goes to the Saudis hat in hand, this is a little different.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It says a lot about us, that's for sure.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just as long as we don't sue Saudi Arabia for similar actions:

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Schumer is a sponsor. Reid is onboard.

Do they have the balls to override a Presidential veto? I doubt it.

11. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

A very perceptive observation on your part DanOregon. Would agree that the timing is very odd.
    Someone wanted to send The Saudi's a message to perhaps grease the skids on some negotiation.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Save a cheek for Paul Ryan.

Ryan won't back bill allowing 9/11 victims sue Saudi Arabia

That said, I'm inclined to believe it should be opened up to scrutiny. If the House of Saud wants to play rough, it can defend itself from Iran.

Draft saved Draft deleted