1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9-11-14: Better or worse than 9-12-01?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Paynendearse, Sep 11, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You can take this to the bank, Baron. I'll NEVER accuse you of being smarter than everyone else ...

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've never said that I'm smarter than everyone else. That's just your assumption that I'm saying that based upon a post that I responded to that used the same argument that the other poster had used.

Notice, that nobody has actually refuted the point that I had made in that post.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Uh, you didn't refute shit. You just threw out the same lame-as-fuck shit you always do. Run along and leave the discussion to the adults.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Uhhh... You do realize we were there before 2003, right? We were flying patrols over the No Fly Zone Every. Fucking. Day. for more than a decade.

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Anyone bet Baron was waving the "Let's Invade Iraq" pom-poms back in the early fall of 2002?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And that fucked with peoples' lives there . . . how exactly?

For all its faults (which hardly affected us at all), Iraq was strong enough before 2003 to keep terrorists out AND to help keep Iran in check.

7. Baron Scicluna

Then why don't you refute my so-called lame-as-fuck shit, then?

You just proved my point again. Keep poking fun at what I post, instead of addressing what I actually posted.

8. Baron Scicluna

Nope, I already was wondering why the hell we were invading a country that didn't attack us. The administration's seemingly glee over going to war with them and criticizing the patriotism of anyone against them gave me considerable pause. Bush's Mission Accomplished speech confirmed it that they went to war to score political points. And scoring political points is no reason to go to war.

9. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Well apparently some were glad we overthrew then found Saddam. They hung his ass.
    He kept the Shi-ites in check. When they took over, the Sunnis found a new label to fight under, ISIS.

10. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

The group that did the bullying that then got bullied after their Chief Bully was overthrown, found, then hung, said fuck it and joined the Islamic State.

11. Baron Scicluna

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

THIS. What we had in Iraq before 2003 is exactly what we now desperately wish we could have in Iraq--a secular stable government that opposed Iran and not only hated Al Qaeda and its ilk, but was also fully committed and strong enough to keep them and their influences out. So we topple it, create an unholy mess that invites a terrorist invasion, and then bankrupt ourselves and waste countless lives and nearly a full decade unsuccessfully trying to re-create what we already had if we'd just never gone there in the first place.

Its just fucking insane how much we screwed ourselves with that invasion. And even worse is that we did it illegally in complete defiance of the UN, and the purported basis we gave for doing it turned out to be bullshit lies. The rest of the world must be so pissed at us...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    HC, Riptide, britwrit and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted