1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9-11-01

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

I saw the news reports out of NYC while eating breakfast before my 9:30 class at the local community college in Alexandria, Va. Really got freaked out seeing the second plane hit, went to class knowing something was really, really wrong. Eight minutes into a Geology 110, heard a loud boom. The Pentagon, though we didn't know it at the time. Professor kept the class going for about another 20 minutes or so, but nobody, including him, was into it.

Walked out of class, saw a TV showing that one of the towers had just collapsed. Heard radio reports while driving home that the State Dept. had been bombed and that the FBI and other buildings in D.C. were being evacuated. What a morning.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Classic Arnold.

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I covered Coast Guard football at the time. Every Tuesday was our weekly press conference with the coach and a few players in the officer's club on base.

The SID, Jason Southard - one of the best, by the way - called and said we can't meet on base because they're not letting anybody on. So we, and a couple of the cadets and the coach, went to a pizza restaurant down the street off the base.

These were some wide-eyed military men. I don't even remember what we talked about. I don't think the upcoming game was much on it.

Later that afternoon I was getting a '67 Land Rover that I won on eBay delivered to my house. And at 3 p.m., Imus was still on WFAN telling everyone to keep it calm.

And it was a cloudless, beautiful blue sky the whole day. Seems to me it was like that around the country.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Wait -- there is Coast Guard football? Like, a football team fielded by a school for the Coast Guard? Please explain.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cloudless blue sky in Michigan that day, too

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

D-III, brother. Plays the Mass. Maritimes of the world. Actually made it to its conference championship last year.

One more piece of trivia: Otto Graham was the coach and AD for about 15 years.

They stunk up the joint when I covered them, though.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It was like that in Idaho.

I found out about it when I was skipping my 7 a.m. class as a senior in college. I was supposed to be running or walking, but I was on the 'net. The internet sites didn't have a lot of info and I didn't really believe it.

So, I started to drive home and that's when all the radio stations flipped to the news.

The one thing I noticed was everyone was driving really slow and had these bizarre expressions on their faces.

I had the unfortunate experience of waking up all of my roommates to let them know.

I went back to class and the professor tried to pretend like nothing happened. I eventually stood up and left and he tried to yell at me. I basically told him to shove it and then went back home and watched TV all day.

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

Exactly the same in the ArkLaTex that day, too.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Was sleeping. Wife woke me up right after the second tower was hit. Was off that day and watched TV news all day. Very surreal.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sittin' on my bed, working on an online piece, checking message boards occasionally . . . and somebody brought it up.

Turned on the TV. Hmmmmmmm. Not good.

11. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Was working for an afternoon daily in British Columbia, then started seeing those news flashes come across the Canadian Press wire, similar to what Corky posted earlier.

Called my girlfriend (now wife) and told her to turn on the TV.

"What channel?"
    "All of them!"

I still had a story on stock car racing to do. Lord, what an unimportant sack of shit I felt like for writing it, but I got it done. Went home and watched TV for the rest of the day.

A couple months later I remember watching a tribute to all of the people who died that day. It was set to the song Only Time by Enya. That song still gives me shivers as a result.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

On the year anniversary, I hate to admit what I was looking for when CNN was scrolling all the names of those who died. Three Niedermayers. Dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted