1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9-11-01

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Sep 10, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was working at a PM paper at the time, so I'd been at work. I got my part done, and headed across the street to visit with people at the DIII school over there. Was in the men's basketball coach's office when we heard about it. He flipped the TV on seconds before the second plane hit. I gasped, then grabbed a phone in the SID's office and called the office. My ME at the time always had his TV in his office turned to CNN, but I wanted to make sure he had seen. We went to press, I believe, before the towers fell but after the attack.

I spent the rest of the day with one of our designers, watching her TV and both of us just freaking out.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't think I'll ever forget that day, and it wasn't really the sight of the planes hitting the towers.

A freshman in college, I was let out of my mass media class early, and I was walking back to my room to take a nap before my 2 p.m. class. As I walked down the hill and looked to my left at the first dorm on campus, I saw two idiots singing a familiar song: REM's "It's the End of the World As We Know It." I thought that was pretty weird, and thought about why for the rest of my walk.

Then I walked into my suite and saw all my roommates sitting in front of the television, which is where I parked myself for the rest of the day. Our afternoon classes were canceled, and that was the first day I didn't play GTA3 or The New Tetris since I started college. We didn't turn the TV off for at least a couple days.

I called home that afternoon to see how the girlfriend was doing, but then it was back to the tube.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I was a junior in high school when it happened.

Went to school like normal that day, and didn't know anything had happened until much later in the day.

The school admins sent out an e-mail to teachers saying they could either let us watch the coverage throughout the day or they could not say anything at all to us. Some teachers didn't have "normal" classes that day. Others did, and they just happened to be teaching my classes.

I didn't know anything had happened until third period, or 11 that day, when one of my friends came out of a room crying. She had been having family/boyfriend issues, so I asked her if her boyfriend had done something wrong. She said no and said 'Just go watch the TV in the bandroom.'

I did, and they were re-airing the footage from when the first plane hit the WTC. Then the second plane hit, and I thought it was just another angle or a replay or something like that.

Then my band director told me it was two planes, and that both buildings had collapsed. I couldn't believe what I was seeing on TV. Two years before that in 1999, the band took a trip to NYC/NJ over spring break and we went on a ferry ride around the Statue of Liberty and saw the WTC.

I took about 30 pictures of the WTC and still have that home, tucked away in an album along with the other pictures from that trip.

Anywho, the school thought about canceling everything that night and the rest of the weekend, but didn't. We had rehearsal that night, the football team had practice and everything went on as normal as possible that night.

There's a gas station just down the road from the band's practice field, and it raised prices to above two bucks a gallon. The line was stretched at least a mile down the road both ways, and didn't let up for a few hours. The station eventually lowered their prices to $1.50 or so after the state cracked down on price gouging.

We stopped rehearsal at around 7:30 that night as President Bush had named that time as a national moment of silence. We stood in a circle for about 20 minutes while Mr. Eck (the band director) said a long prayer and talked for a bit. It was a pretty moving time, with everyone standing around crying and leaning on each other. Then it was back to rehearsal, but the mood was very somber the rest of the night.

Friday night when on as planned, although people in the stands at the football game kept a constant eye on the sky for another possible attack. Fort Knox, which is about 45 minutes from where I live and 20 from where I work, was put on high alert and every time a plane or chopper flew overhead, people cringed and some even screamed throughout the game.

When one of the local TV stations came down to film part of the game for its highlight show, everyone just about jumped out of the bleachers and headed for the hills when that chopper landed.

This is my generation's 'Where were you' moment. And for some damn reason, I wish I had heard the news earlier that day. But I guess the teachers I had thought it best to not let us watch it. I know at least two of them wouldn't have been able to hold it together, let alone keep a class of 20-25 kids from panicking and going into mass hysteria.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I was awakened by the sound of the sirens, something you always hear in New York but there were so many and they didn't stop or fade away like they usually do. I then looked out the window of my friend's east-side 36th Street apartment and saw the black smoke pouring out of the tower. I couldn't believe how big the fire was. I turned on the TV and saw that a plane had hit it. Just as I looked out the window again, I saw a plane flying where I had never seen one go before and seconds later, the big gaping hole in the second building. It was terrifying. I then went into a sort of shocked-like state as I watched the rest of it, some on TV, some out on my friend's terrace, at least until the announcers said no one should be outside breathing that air, which turned out to be true. After the towers came down, I continued to watch. Finally, about 3 p.m., I went out for coffee and something to eat and saw everyone still walking up 3rd Avenue, with bits of the dust in their hair and absolute shock on their faces. The next few days in New York were indescribable as the city had such an eerie silence and people would just hug others when they saw them on the streets, embracing the fact that they were still alive. The memory of that day, and the week after, will never fade.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Wow, there's a sense of perspective. It was so long ago that Mike had a girlfriend. Makes you think.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

One thing that sticks with me was my mom calling me from Texas after the towers had collapsed. She was sobbing, and she said, "if this is Armageddon, I just want to hear your voice one more time."

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Like mike, I was a freshman in college at the time, in just our second week. I didn't have class that day until a bit later, so I was just waking up when it happened. We lived in a suite type setup, and one of the guys from across the common area came and woke us up. I was just sort of shaking off the cobwebs from sleep at the time, and then I woke up to see video of one of the towers collapsing. We all just stood around the tv in one of the rooms, not really sure what to say at all. Everything had changed in an instant.

I had a writing class later that day, which I still had to go to, but of course no one wanted to be there--I still remember the looks on everyone's faces. All we did was talk about what happened for a while, not that anybody really knew much at that point. I don't think we were there the whole class time.

I don't remember too much about the rest of the day except that we had a candlelight vigil on the quad that night, which was pretty somber to say the least.

8. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

I was about four months into my job near two major air force bases, working sports desk. I was scheduled to be off that day. Woke up around 9 a.m. CDT and flipped on my computer. The My Yahoo page had the small plane crashing headline. I thought a plane had just gone off course. I did my normal morning Internet rounds, then went back to My Yahoo about 10 minutes later. I looked at the headlines again, and by then it had the second building hit. That was my uh-oh moment.

Later on, I went into the office with the intention to help out, but I mainly went in just to soak in the moment -- and watch the world change.

9. azom

azom Member

Sophomore year in college.

Woke up, went to the cafeteria for breakfast, got dressed and walked across campus to my history class. When I got there, the professor said something to the effect of, "I'll try not to keep you here long, with what happened in New York this morning." And that was all he said. I was completely confused.

It was another two or three hours before I got to see what had happened. I spent a couple hours watching, then tried to move on (I recall a Wal-Mart trip).

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I had just finished pulling an all-nighter at work to get extra stuff done. I went home fell aslep and an hour later the phone is ringing and it's my mom saying "Are you awake? Are you watching the news? Can you believe this?" I rolled over in bed, grabbed the remote flipped it on and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I got up, showered and went back to work to help with whatever I could. One of the men who died in one of the planes was a local youth sports coach.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was sleeping and my brother (Z-Man) called me from Cincinnati and woke me up. I was in a half-fog when he told me and I was like, "What the fuck are you talking about?" I don't think I really believed it until I turned on the TV, then my blood went cold.

I believe I then had the displeasure of telling my wife and each of the guys on my staff. The reaction they gave me was similar to the reaction I had for my brother.

My next call was to work to do whatever I could to help out. I ended up doing desk work, then spent two or three days feeling like the most worthless fifth wheel ever as sports shut down other than some scant prep events.

It was my first day back from a Labor Day week vacation. I took vacation last week over the exact same time period for the first time since, and I admit, 9/11 popped in my mind more than once. I was waiting for some shoe to drop again this past Tuesday and praying that it wouldn't.

I don't like to remember 9/11 the day, rather, I like to live life just as I did in the days before it. To me, that's the only way I can shove it up the terrorists' asses.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

I live on the west coast, and I drove my daugher to first grade. I turned on the sports radio station and I heard something that wasn't sports radio. The information wasn't clear, but they said there were two planes which hit the World Trade Center. I work for the federal government and I thought we wouldn't have work, but I went in just in case. The US Marshals told us the building was closed. The first thing I did was to go to my daughter's school to see her. They were at recess and the teacher sent her over to see me. They didn't close the school and I was glad about that - if they let kids go home, they probably would have watched the thing on television.

I decided to go get some paint and do some painting. I felt like I should be doing something positive to counter the destruction, and the painting helped take my mind off the atrocity. We had just moved into the house about 10 days earlier, and I figured this was a good opportunity to do the painting.

We were sent home after work the next day, and I did some more painting. I remember talking to a football coach doing a story for a possible preview - but it was an away game so there would be a question whether they could get a plane. It turned out it wasn't played.

All I could think about was the firemen who had died. My father was a fireman, so that is why that affected me. I remember covering high school games that weekend. Usually the National Anthem, after hearing it so many times at games, has no affect on me. This time, I really felt something.

The other thing I remember clearly was driving back to the office after the game, I saw a young man just waving an American flag back and forth. That seemed a telling symbol reminding me to keep the faith.

Draft saved Draft deleted