1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9/11/01--Where were you when you heard the news?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was in bed and was awakened by my brother -- our Z-Man -- who let me know. I saw neither live and am glad I did not see it.

I had the task of alerting my sports staff at the time. Like me, they were sleeping, and their reaction was sort of like mine. How do you comprehend something like that right out of sleep?

What blew my mind ... we got prep-related complaint calls on Sept. 12 as I recall. Perspective always sleeps.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Obviously it was more chaotic for people living in the cities affected and major cities, but I remember how much fear there was everywhere.
    Hell, in Boise they called the National Guard in to secure the Capitol Building just in case. It was also kind of scary when I saw planes still flying later that day as they were in the process of trying to get everything on the ground.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I was sleeping at my boyfriend's house.

My phone was charging in the other room, and I kept hearing it all morning. Around 11 I got up and answered it. I didn't even have my glasses on.

I watched everything about an inch from the television.

It's still unreal.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

I hesitated for a minute before starting this thread.

Reason being; I know it is a very, very emotional day that brings up nothing but bad things of the worst day in American History that changed millions of lives, but a very sincere Thank You to everyone who shared a little piece of that day with everyone else on here.

God Bless

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Junior year in high school, never knew anything had happened until around noon when a friend of mine ran out of a classroom crying. I asked her what happened and she told me. Walked into the room and they were re-showing the whole thing. The teachers at my school were told they could either let us watch it all or have class like normal.

My first two classes I didn't hear anything. Third period came, and that's when I saw Jessica running out of the room bawling her eyes out. My third period teacher, who also happened to be my band director, let us watch everything on TV and talk about what had happened.

My fourth period was band and Mr. Eck left it up to us if we wanted to have band practice that night or not. The seniors chose to have it, but I think we would have practiced anyway.

There was a gas station just down the road from our practice field, and it had cars lined up down both sides of the street for a couple of miles. They never raised their prices, but they had a steady flow of cars the entire time we were outside.

Around 7 that night, everyone in the band got in a big circle and Mr. Eck led us in a long prayer. Just thinking about what he said during it still sends chills up and down my spine.

6. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm watching this "As It Happened" thing on MSNBC. This is pretty crazy, because obviously I've seen the footage a million times but I didn't see it live on 9/11 so I never saw the extended, real-time coverage. The amazing thing to me is how composed Couric, Brokaw and Lauer remained. I know we're professionals, but I don't think I couldn't freak out when seeing the tower collapse. Also, the reporter at the Pentagon was ridiculously calm.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

College student at the time, going to a juco about 50 miles away while living at home. Folks had the news on as we were getting ready. Before leaving a sat down for a minute to watch a bit more. My then-7-year-old brother comes up to me for a hug before leaving for school as the second plane hit and I yelled, "Holy shit!"

Drove to school, listening to the radio coverage of course. Got to my first class, "The American Experience" (think foreign relations) taught by a German. We didn't watch the coverage, but we did discuss what was happening.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Wow.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I was still working overnights at a factory at this point. I dropped my car off at the shop, came home, went to bed about 7:30.

No one called.

I woke up about 2:30, and I kept my usual routine, I checked my e-mail and hit the net. First thing I saw was "TRADE TOWERS DESTROYED" as a headline. I thought it was a bad dream.

I was numb the rest of that day and night when I went into work.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I was a senior in college, and I was walking to class at the time the first plane hit.

Of course, I didn't hear anything for 20 more minutes probably. We had a two-teacher class, and one came in and said that a plane hit the WTC, and he left the room to go get more information. He then came back and screamed that a second plane hit the other tower.

He went to work getting us a TV...and in the meantime, the other teacher taught class. A journalism class. I kid you not. Like we could concentrate.

About 25-30 minutes later, we finally get a TV in our room, turn it on and there's a picture of the Pentagon up in flames. First image I saw. I remember, at that moment, wondering if there weren't 50 planes hijacked and being sent all over the U.S...I'll admit it, it freaked me out.

I had another journalism class right after that, and we met for 30 seconds. Professor said "This is journalism, and you need to know about the world around you. Get out of here and go find a TV."

I actually went and worked for the school paper the rest of the day.

11. PinSuperfly

PinSuperfly New Member

I was sleeping ... but not with the enemy.

I saw it on TV and then got on the conference call.

Later I went to practice and realized I was the enemy.

12. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

was a sophomore in college at Valdosta State at the time. that morning on the way into the building for class, heard someone saying something about a bunch of people getting killed...but thought something in the mid-east had happened since that person was from Israel. Then, just before class, someone kinda relayed what happened. The professor came in and said, "I'm going to do what I never do and cancel class. If your on the school paper, we need you in the office now. If you're not on staff and can help write something, we need you."

I wasn't on staff (was stringing for the local daily), but went in anyway and did a short 10-12 incher, then went to the office of the daily as everyone gathered around the tv as the towers fell. There really wasnt time to rest...I had to go to two schools to do advance stuff for later in the week and just had this feeling of numbness all day.

Draft saved Draft deleted