1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9/11/01--Where were you when you heard the news?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Sep 11, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

FB is right about one thing.

For a certain generation i.e. old guys, November 22 and 9/11 resonate the same way.

You know where you were, you can practically remember every single detail of both events.

I still remember Oswald getting shot on live TV (black and white). My mom and I watched the events non-stop (or as much as you could back then).

In the afternoon of 9/11 because everything was so freakish I left work at 1:00 to go home to spend time with my boys.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What's the over-under?

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I'm late to this one but I'll share the story:

My dad, and two of my friends were in Mississippi on that fateful morning. We were halfway home from a drive from Dallas after catching opening weekend of the NFL. Sorry to say the Cowboys lost that day to the Bucs, but that quickly was of no concern.

We were checking out of the hotel early so we could get home before night (hopefully). I'm in the car and one of my friends comes out and says something about a small plane hitting the World Trade Center. My dad and I looked at him and said "no shit?" We get in the car and put on the news. We find out it's not a small plane and we hear about the second one hitting as we're driving. My dad, being a Vietnam veteran and very patriotic, immediately blurts out a profanity referring to Middle Easterners. I said, dad you don't know who did this. He told me to STFU and to trust his instincts on this one. Then we heard about the Pentagon and the whole way home was filled with me trying to get a hold of my friend Eric's mom (he worked at the Pentagon sometimes) and my other friend trying to get a hold of his sister who is in the military. I got home and watched the news until falling asleep sometime around 5 or 6 a.m.

I got up the next day, drove to work and got my paycheck. My boss, who I hated at the time, asked me if I wanted to work today "lot of tired people." In the now, I would've said yes. Back then, I didn't care one bit for him or how tired he was. I look back on that in shame. One of the few regrets I have in life. Too proud to cut a vacation short and give some people a break.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Ran across this yesterday. Perhaps you've already seen it (I had not), but posting it here for those who haven't.

Guy on the 105th floor of Tower 2 on the phone with 911, who apparently goes down with the tower collapse.

Horrific and chilling.

5. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Oh, man...............That was definitely horrific.

Especially the last five seconds.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i was calling for bush's resignation.

Draft saved Draft deleted