1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

4 Years Later, Race Is Still Issue for Some Voters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 4, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Interesting article:

2. Uh, this is not surprising news... esp. where I live.

It ain't a small part of constituency here, either.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I am shocked that race remains an issue for racists.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I don't see why this is still a shock for some. Along with death and taxes, race, sex, and class continue to be issues that everyone can't get past personally for themselves.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Just as much as money is for rich people, class is for the middle class, and gender equality is for women.

Now, there are different kinds of racists. Say hello to "hipster racism", TSP!

http://jezebel.com/5905291/a-complete-guide-to-hipster-racism

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When I saw this story this morning, I immediately thought "Heard About the Lindbergh baby?"
    The contrast between the Times' kickass foreign coverage and its increasingly banal coverage of U.S. politics is striking and disappointing.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Are there more white democrats who won't vote for Obama because he's black (half black) than there are Christian republicans who won't vote for Romney because he's a Mormon

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm shocked that there are Democrats who are racists. We're always being told around here that only Republicans are. This is really unsettling...

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Say "hipster racism" in Steubenville and they'll think you're talking about broken hips.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, it's interesting for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, these folks are willing to put their racism above their politics. They are akin to Republican voters who won't vote for Romney because he's a Mormon -- and we've heard a lot more about them in this election cycle than we have about Dems who won't vote for Obama because he's black.

(Funny to that the one woman says she voted for Ralph Nader in 2008, instead of Obama. Nader was running in 2008? So, she's a die hard liberal, not some "independent" voter who's racism caused er to vote for the GOP nominee.)

But, it is also interesting because, if you believe the folks at SportsJournalists.com, then you've been led to believe that most racists reside in the South, and all of them vote GOP, and have for decades/generations.

I've always held that racism isn't contained within any one political party.

This article is about Democrats in Ohio, and the problem does not appear to be isolated:

"White working-class". Who coined that term? It's just a safe code word for racist Democrats.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Do we really need a new one of these threads every fucking day?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Well, we have to assume these weren't people who voted for Obama in '08, so their relevance as a topic in this election is limited. It's people who DID vote for Obama who might or might not this time who'll decide it. Again, a boring story on an obvious topic that got front-paged because "racism" is a keyword that drives hits.

Draft saved Draft deleted