1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Re: Masters degree in English

The only way to get into grad school is visiting College Confidential or Gradcafe; list your GPA, GRE, and state you have a killer Statement of Purpose and letters of recommendation; and post "Chance Me!" so undergrads can give you useless advice.

Did you just apply to one school? Are you English or nothing, or open to other fields?

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Re: Masters degree in English

Does your area not have programs for people to go back to school to get there masters? Here, most schools call it GPS (Graduate and Professional Studies). Most of the programs are like the one I am in to get an MAT or an MBA or in nursing or the like. Most of the programs are very accelerated. You got to school usually 6-10 Friday night then 8-10 on Saturday morning.

It would take a lot for them to reject someone, I think. Most of the small private colleges in our area are having an arms race to fill those classes. On any give stretch of 10 miles of road I about guarantee you'll see billboards for 3-4 schools. They advertise on TV and radio like crazy. If you go to a movie, they just about all have ads during the commercials. It's big business to them. Within an hour of me, there are 5 small private colleges. They go as far as putting billboards across from the others' campuses.

All that said, I don't know if any of them offer a traditional masters in a specific subject.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

my J degree has an emphasis in PR. as i was leaving school, they were just starting a new master's program and the chair of the department -- i knew him well -- begged me to stick around for it ... public administration. i wish i would have. i mean i really kick myself in the ass, i wish i would have.

give it a look?

4. Re: Masters degree in English

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/43-literature-and-rhetoric-and-composition/

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/62-communications/

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Bradley, taking that computer path seems like a good idea. Go for it.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

Re: MA in English is no go; considering IT training

can you legally grow weed in your state?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

damn. i tried, my friend. i tried.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Go for the computer stuff. Seems like half the IT guy don't know what the hell they are doing so the bar for success and employment is pretty low.

9. Re: MA in English is no go; considering IT training

What do you want to do and enjoy doing? Just be mindful many companies want someone with a bachelor's in an IT field. An A+ or MCSE isn't going to cut it anymore.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On the plus side, I believe most call centers pay better than minimum wage -- and probably better than more newspaper starting salaries.

11. Re: MA in English is no go; considering IT training

Try for a communications master if you like that, orvstick with English. There are online master's programs from reputable schools. For a lot of public universities, the tuition differential for residents and non-residents is minimal for online programs. I know Utah State offers an online master's in English that's affordable.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If you still owe $20k on your first student, make sure you really look at the payout on a master's degree.
    It's far from a guarantee of employment, and you could be blowing you debt up to $50k or more if you start looking at some of the online programs.
    I'm not saying it's not worth it. I'm saying you have to realistic about your job prospects and salary when you come out the other side.

Community college is a more affordable route, but I don't know what the prospects are for a two-year IT degree.

Draft saved Draft deleted