1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Re: Masters degree in English

I'm not in the humanities, but I would be very surprised if your former career as a journalist is held against you. That said, I hope you are aware how hard to get jobs like that are. I would suggest you go to the Chronicle of Higher Education's website (chronicle.com), create an account and check out/post to some of the fora there. You might get a better, more-informed sense of the realities of what you're shooting for. Further, if you think there's any chance you'd like to go on for the PhD, if there's a way you can do it in the business school (say, corporate communications or marketing) your job prospects will be ever so much more promising (and rewarding). At reasonably good universities PhD's in English (from really top-market programs) are a dime-a-dozen and they are paid accordingly. You'll make twice as much (or more) money teaching in the business school, and there will be more jobs available to boot!

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If a community college is desperate for adjuncts, you might be able to teach a few courses right now. I taught a public speaking class based on my journalism experience. It will get your foot in the door.

4. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Don't do it for a career change.

If you want to do it because you want to study the material, then it's not a terrible idea.

But don't do it for a career.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you go back for a master's in English, make sure to double-major in a Romance language so you can differentiate between tall, grande and venti.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This makes Creosote's Jeep shopping look like economic brilliance.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This. A thousand times this.

Otherwise you will hate every second of grad school.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Anything else you're interested in with a communications degree or public policy? Those programs can lead to good internships, depending on where you're at.

I'm in my mid 30s and in grad school for political science. The journalism experience is at least getting me in the door for some jobs, as well as the year I've spent working in the University Relations office as a grad assistant.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, I'm intimately familiar with community college in California, but I'm support staff, not faculty.
    Those are tough spots to land; but there is hope.
    A huge percentage of full-time faculty in California are expected to retire in the next five years.
    Also, get yourself a community college teaching certificate. Very hard to land an adjunct spot in California without one.
    In addition the the grad degree, you really need classroom experience. Being a grad asistant will help and so will a CC teaching cert.
    Learn everything you can about 'student learning outcomes' as a pedagological strategy. You'll kill every interview.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Dr. J has an English degree and sells cars. That's all I have to add.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Sorry to hear that.
    After I bailed on the newspaper business I went back to school for a MAT (Masters of Arts in Teaching) and thoroughly enjoy grad school and my new career. I hope everything works out for you.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

There are jobs out there. They are crappy jobs, and you will be underemployed -- but I assure you they are out there. I've been working in retail for seven years now. I can barely survive, but my husband and I have great insurance and I'm making enough to put a little towards a 401K. I'm still looking for another job while I squeak by.

Draft saved Draft deleted