1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

894/899

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, May 20, 2008.

1. Ugh!
    Thanks for the image.

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

All the men on the message board just cringed and crossed their legs, involuntarily, and really aren't sure why.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's what you get for going A.P.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I have pictures at home

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

McClelland was pretty widely acknowledged to be an idiot among most Civil War historians. If you were writing about generals who did poorly at the academy and did much better on the battlefield, I'd suggest Grant as a better example.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That's right. I remember now. I knew it was something of that ilk, especially with Hill.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

By his president at the time, too.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

IINM, Lincoln even briefly pondered commanding the army himself because McClelland was such an idiot.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My best friend growing up went to West Point. After his plebe year--when he would occasionally be allowed to leave--he came to visit me where I went to school a bunch of times and he would always bring a long a couple of his friends. They are some of my most memorable college weekends, because it would be two days of guys who had just been released from prison. One of his friends was a huge fuck-up by West Point standards. Actually by most standards. But he was funny as hell and wild to be around when I was 19. From what I saw of West Point as an outsider, I have no idea how he survived the place. I'd try to describe him, but I wouldn't do him justice.

I remember how being the goat was a pretty big deal. If you were near the bottom of the class, you actually tried to finish last--without crossing a line and getting kicked out--because those guys are like minor celebrities; every member of the graduating class gives the goat a silver dollar. What was funny was the guy I am talking about ended up finishing second or third to last in his class and I remember the other guys I knew joking that he even fucked up being last.

I have no idea what he is doing now, but I am kind of curious. I am going to find out.

10. Jones

Jones Active Member

McCain is quite proud of this. He brings it up all the time.

But like Ragu's saying, I think he would have preferred to finish dead last. McCain can actually remember the name of the guy who did -- I'm drawing a blank on it right now -- and for finishing last, the goat got to meet the President at the time (Ike maybe?), and that kind of made McCain wish he'd tried harder to hit bottom.

McCain also got a huge number of demerits -- like, as many as you can get and not be kicked out, and maybe even more than that, except like Ace mentioned, his father and grandfather has some significant dick to swing around Annapolis.

11. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

It's McCain's way of showing he's not an elitist. Understanding econcomics and being able to keep Sunni and Shia straight are also elitist things he's avoiding.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I thought he had a narrow urethra

Draft saved Draft deleted