1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

894/899

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, May 20, 2008.

1. That was John McCain's rank in his Naval Academy graduating class.

This isn't a flame post or anything like that. I just found it stunning.

How does someone turn it around after finishing in essentially the lowest 1-2 percent of his college graduating class and become a respected senator and party nominee for the presidency?

Late bloomer? Did his POW experience change everything?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Custer was last in his West Point class, and made it to General.

Too bad he wore an Arrow shirt.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

"Mr. Blutarsky. Zero point zero"

[​IMG]

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not to nitpick, but there have actually been some pretty notable military leaders who were "goats."

McClelland, Crittenden, Pickett, Heth, to name a few from the Civil War. There are others, to be sure, but I can't seem to find the list.

Honestly, though, ranking near the bottom at one of the academies isn't like finishing last at Dumbarton Mining College.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I wonder how many washed out from that class? Fifth from the bottom is never good, but given the rigors of academy life, it is a bit more tolerable than at Bumfuck State.

And thanks for sparing me the trouble of clicking on that banner ad.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Charlie Wilson was near the bottom of his class at the Naval Academy, too. Ambitious people don't let little things like that get in there way.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Having a father and grandfather who are admirals doesn't hurt, either.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.lastintheirclass.com/

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

AA, if you're referring to George McClellan, he finished second in his class (Class of 1846) at West Point.

That's notable in several ways, most prominently the fact that 10 members of that class -- including Stonewall Jackson, George Pickett (who finished last in the class of 59) and Cadmus Wilcox -- went on to become generals for the Confederacy. A.P. Hill was in that class, but got held back a year for something or other.

Meanwhile, besides McClellan, 12 went on to wear stars for the Union, including Darius Couch, George Stoneman and Jesse Reno.

There's a decent book about this: "The Class of 1846: From West Point to Appomattox: Stonewall Jackson, George McClellan and their Brothers.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Actually was referring to George C. McClelland (with a D). He was listed among the "goats."

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

More to the point, though...Jeff Davis was 23rd out of 32, U.S. Grant was 21st out of 39, Edgar Allen Poe was a washout, etc.

Folks, finishing near the bottom of ANY military academy class is much better than being near the top of a class at a smaller, less-respected and revered college. Trust me.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Hill contracted venereal disease from a woman of ill repute while on furlough. His illness along with lousy standing pushed him back.

His urethra was gangrenous when they performed his autopsy. He spent the war in fierce pain.

Draft saved Draft deleted