1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Presentation to college journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gmetzker, Feb 21, 2012.

1. gmetzker

gmetzker New Member

I haven't been on SJ for years so apologies in advance if I'm not doing this correctly. I'm giving a presentation next month to college journalists in NYC on how to cover sports controversies on your campus (think Penn State, Syracuse, UMiami, etc.) Any and all suggestions, welcomed.

2. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Hello gmetzker,

You could start by having the students analyze or discuss the coverage from the local papers like the Harrisburg Patriot-News (for the Sandusky case). Look at how the story evolved, what was the sourcing like etc.

Best of luck.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Are you just talking about while they are in college?

If so, I would show them that the contacts they have already in place via Twitter and Facebook would give them a huge edge on the others trying to come in for a story. If you already have a person who was close to the story on your Facebook or Twitter, that is like having their phone number for old schoolers. Work your resources so that you are getting sources and quotes that no one else is getting or be the first to get them by 24 hours or one news cycle.

Being a college student at PSU when that broke should have been a huge advantage to the college paper due to the network of people they already have in place. Take that advice to the real world and remember that when you are closest to the story, you have the advantage.

Draft saved Draft deleted