1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

86-year-old Mass. high school football coach to retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Nov 15, 2010.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Bill Tighe has been the coach at Lexington for 35 years, previously coached at Malden and Wakefield. Dealt with him frequently earlier in my career. Decent coach, much better man.

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/extras/schools_blog/2010/11/lexingtons_tigh.html

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Wicked: As a Lexingtonian, I am proud Bill Tighe is coach at our high school. But you can't be SURE he's retiring, seeing as when I was at the Herald in 2003 and 2004, I covered two consecutive Thanksgiving Day games after which Tighe told me on the record it had been his last game. He has been a pater familas Coach emiterus for several years now.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Joe Paterno thinks this guy's a pussy.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

True enough, Michael. I covered that 2003 game, too, and I don't remember him saying he was retiring then. (I do remember you talking to him separately, though.)

And Paterno is younger; he'll turn 84 in a few weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted