1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times says 35 jobs open at ESPN The Mag

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Apr 13, 2011.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

You guys see this note? Looks like a big chunk of the ESPN The Magazine staff doesn't want to move from NY to Bristol. (I find it hard to believe 35 journalists are walking away from full-time jobs in this climate.) Still, curious what kind of jobs might come open from this. ...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/new_ami_shake_up_perel_named_star_SasnQQFJxCRv2ZH5brGIGO/1

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Have you been to Bristol? For some it's a move not worth making.

3. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

And in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... and now ESPN's careers website has gotten 1,000,000,000 hits for job openings.

4. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

You would have to think most would be desk jobs, but there might be a few writing/reporting gigs available.

5. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Bristol is like 95 percent of the towns in the USA. It's not a city. Certainly, if I am a young person or single, it's a no go.

I find it stunning that it's located in such a random place too. But, killing Bristol is a little much from people on this board. There are plenty of places to live. It's not like you have to live in Bristol.

It gets a bad rap because young and broke Production people have no cash, and no nightlife.

But, if you are settled and have children and make some coin there are ample areas to live nicely and well. If I am 25 and want to be in the hot area with things to do, then no, CT is not your place.

But 44 with kids? Do you really need to be near the bar, club, nightlife and women?

Just food for thought. For single or under 40, it's probably not a prime location. But, when you are older and have a family and start looking at schools and such, there are some terrific places.

Now, if my current job said I had to move 3 hours, it's probably a no go. You are asking people to uproot your families and life. That's hard to do.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

jfs, appreciated, but wrong.

West Hartford is a VERY cool town. It's 20-25 minutes from Bristol. I lived in Farmington, which is nice, and New Britain, which is less nice but cheaper. Avon is expensive but has good schools if that's what you're worried about. But in terms of nightlife, West Hartford is accessible and great. Young area, lots of bars/pubs/restaurants.

And "three hours" is fair. But if you drive 45-60 minutes south and jump on the Metro North in New Haven, you're dropped off at Grand Central for $32 round trip. Probably 90 minutes on the train. It's an easy day trip, and one I made many times.

Bristol itself is a hole. I worked there 20 months and never met more than one person (and that was because he walked to work) who lived in Bristol proper. The areas around it are fine.

7. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Went to school in West Hartford so I can vouch for their being option in terms of bars/restaurants. Last call was at 12:40, but that's because the state of Connecticut sucks

8. imjustagirl

Good point. There is this: You can't buy beer in stores after 8:30 p.m. Not midnight, 8:30 p.m.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Cripes, it's not like they're making them move to fucking Texas.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I heard Bristol is awful. Like everything closes at 9 p.m. and not just on Sundays.

11. imjustagirl

To be fair, I wouldn't leave NYC for Bristol either. And I enjoyed working there.

But NYC is my life's blood. If I could get a job there AND didn't have family constraints, I'd work 7 jobs to live there.

12. imjustagirl

Try reading above.

Draft saved Draft deleted