1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

83 Yards / 12 Plays

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 6, 2008.

1. No, it's good athleticism that coaches like to take credit for.
    You think Eli needed Kevin Glibride to tell him to escape a sack, or that Tyree needed a coordinator to tell him to leap high enough to catch the ball against his head and hang onto it. Eli's escape was a good play. The pass was a pure heave on which Tyree made a great play.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well that's the liberal perspective. I say its great athleticism combined with great coaching.

3. You do have a sweet tooth for authority figures and you are easily led.

4. Boom_70

No - I have respect for authority. I have also watched great athletes fail because they were not taught what to do through repetition.

In football one of things that coaches love most and players hate is the repetition. In the end though everyone realizes its what wins football games.

5. I don't see giving Gilbride credit for what was essentially a broken play. There were how many defenders in the backfield? If Manning doesn't escape, it's over. And by the time he does break free, the receivers have no doubt finished their routes and were ad-libbing to create space from defenders - many of whom had given up on the play (as reported in the story). That's not coaching. That's common sense.

Note: Obviously Harrison didn't give up on the play. That's what made it so great.

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

If only Harrison had been on HGH he would've been strong enough to rip that ball out of Tyree's hands.

7. Boom_70

It was a broken play but players are coached how to react in said situation.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As W_B alluded to, Tyree wasn't running the route called for ... he said as much in the postgame that he cut off his route when he saw Eli in trouble. He was in the middle of the field, where the route was supposed to go, yes, but - like Eli - he improvised.

No credit to the coaching staff on that one.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Eh, that's basic football that those guys have been doing since well before they began playing under Coughlin and Gilbride. You can credit every one of their coaches from Pee Wee football on up for that.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He graded the Ravens-Giants as only a D, so he loses all credibility... If any game was a F-minus, that's the one...

Patriots-Rams was better than this one, so was Packers-Broncos, Niners, Bengals II, Giants-Bills...

Titans-Rams is way overrated...

This game was dreadfully boring until the fourth quarter...

11. Boom_70

Yes - that's been my point

12. You can credit their Pee Wee coaches.
    That's about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted