1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS player saves perfect season by making game-winning shot -- then dies.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Mar 4, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What a sad story...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/04/wes-leonard-dies-fennville-high-school_n_831223.html

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And today's the 21st anniversary of Hank Gathers' death. Eerie.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Wow. That's terrible. 16 years old, a star two-sport kid. Collapsed during the celebration.

Just unfair.

Here's what the local paper has: http://www.hollandsentinel.com/facebook_news/x2022445591/Fennville-basketball-player-Wes-Leonard-collapses-on-court-after-victory

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

In that story, fans let cold air in. Complete opposite of what you should do, unless the kid had a burning fever.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

When I first saw this on the wire last night, I thought he might have been trampled by the crowd charging the court. The local story indicates the same, but goes on to mention he'd been sick during the week.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Second kid to die under screwy circumstances in about a year there. Something cynical in me says something ain't right...

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The kid died doing what he loved.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Awful story. Looking at video of game winning shot was like a scene from Hoosiers.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Wes Leonard is now trending on Twitter.

And Killick, do you recall what happened with the other kid? Or was it in the story and I missed it?

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Also this is a coaches worst nightmare. I know a guy who lost a track runner during a practice. He said he thinks about it every day.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

He was a wrestler who had a seizure at home after a match.

This kid was recovering from the flu. A few months ago a kid on one of the real good teams in Minnesota collapsed, didn't have a pulse at the gym but somehow lived. Still hospitalized, has had several open-heart surgeries but is slowly recovering. But doctors believe the virus he had in December was a cause of his collapse.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/zachgabbard/journal

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh man, brutal. Just brutal. But, as someone said earlier, he died doing what he loved. I suppose there are worse ways to go out.

Draft saved Draft deleted