1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

80's Super Group

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 29, 2008.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I used to work with a guy who's neighbour was an engineer on that record and he called him and a bunch of his buddies in to help with the "Gimme an R.....O.....C....K" bit.

As for Platinum Blonde, back in my music journalism daze in the late 80s we were at some club show in Toronto. I wasn't working so I was pounding the beers. My editor introduced me to lead singer mark Holmes and remembering the ridiculous Spandes-infused cover of their first album I asked if he had change for a buck. The look he gave me indicated I wasn't the first one to ask that question.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

I heard he was a bit of wanker anyway.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Phony English accent and all...

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to be about Night Ranger.

I would have said that thread's down the hall.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

I just loaded Sister Christian and When You Close Your Eyes onto my Walkman. So there.

6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

And Kansas is performing not 100 yeards from me right now at picturesque New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Good times to the soundtrack of my tween years. Although I guess they're more of a 70s super group.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Absolutely true. His solo stuff is excellent. I have no idea why his solo career has been such a commercial non-entity next to Men At Work.

Back in their day Men At Work was pretty damn good. I saw them at the US Festival in '83 when they were they had 2nd billing out of 8 bands on New Wave Day - the Clash was the headliner. They absolutely blew the Clash off the stage, and I was a huge Clash fan.

8. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

This thread's a bit Overkill, isn't it? :D

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Carry on, my wayward son.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Loved Men at Work.

My favorite ..

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Colin Hay is touring with Ringo Starr's All Starr Band (with Billy Squier!) this summer. They opened their tour last week in Niagara Falls.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That sounds like the most magnificent train wreck every put together. Tell me Dee Snider is in the band, and I am there.

Draft saved Draft deleted