1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

make $cash$ per hour / Washington D.C. / blogger needs sports writing lessons

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by sportsindc, Nov 24, 2010.

1. sportsindc

sportsindc New Member

Hi, I blog about combat sports but I want to get better at it. If you want to make some cash on the side or have a business teaching people about online sports writing, email me here. I don't want a classroom setting w/ other students. I want individual attention. Please send the following info to me:

1. Years experience in sports writing
    2. 1 URL to sample article online
    3. Rate per hour
    4. Where you are willing to meet for lessons (1-2 hours) per week. I live in the district and prefer DC, NoVA, or Montgomery County/MD

Thanks and happy holidays.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Take a class or two, or better yet, read what other sports writers.

3. Schottey

Schottey Guest

http://bleacherreport.com/wi

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It frightens me that anyone at bleacher report is pretending to be able to teach anyone anything about sportswriting.

5. Schottey

Schottey Guest

It frightens me that you make blatant ad-hominem statements without knowing a thing and then pretend to call yourself a journalist.

Personally, I covered the Vikings for over five years and turned down a number of jobs to work for b/r which offered me the ability to live where my wife has a great job. They also pay me a great deal more than any entry-level sports writing gig.

As an internship, we're able to provide and avenue for college credit for students at universities like Miami, Florida, Missouri, Northwestern, Syracuse, and many others.

In fact, your alma mater has been pleased to work with us and sent us some of our best interns.

Our graduates have transitioned quickly to MLB.com, Patch, Scout, Fox Sports, The Boston Globe, the Miami Heat, as well as many other fine entry-level jobs. Many others have transitioned into paid writing and/or editing roles with Bleacher Report.

I placed the link here because SportsinDC has an interest in combat sports. Bleacher Report writers are frequently credentialed to UFC and other MMA events while larger websites ignore the events and smaller blogs can't get in.

All that aside, you go ahead and believe what you want and pretend you know something.

SportsinDC, rather than wasting your money, apply for the internship. It's a 10-week course in which you'll learn a lot, get plenty of exposure and have more opportunities presented to you. We're currently accepting applicants for a session starting in January or you can wait until the summer.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You're right and I apologize. But during the years I covered the NFL the kid who worked for Bleacher Report was a buffoon. He was one of the most unprofessional people I ever worked alongside.

But that's not a reflection of the whole lot and I apologize.

7. Schottey

Schottey Guest

Thank you, and I'll apologize for the potshots in my response.

I'm sure I could commiserate with you about individual writers, but trust that the company as a whole is taking meaningful and measured steps toward less buffoonery.

The writing internship is a huge part of that.

8. RickStare

RickStare New Member

isn't the whole point of Bleacher Report "reports from the Bleachers" ... AKA no access?

don't you start going against the theme by getting access?

9. sportsindc

sportsindc New Member

Folks -- thanks for the information about the BR. I will check it out. Have a great Thanksgiving weekend!

Draft saved Draft deleted