1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball writer Bill Shannon dies in house fire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hwkcrz1, Oct 26, 2010.

1. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

WEST CALDWELL, N.J. (AP) — Bill Shannon, a baseball historian, author and an official scorer at New York Yankees and Mets games for decades, has died in a house fire in New Jersey.

The 58-year-old Shannon was unable to escape the flames that consumed the West Caldwell home where he lived with his elderly mother Tuesday.

West Caldwell fire chief Charlie Holden says the three-alarm fire was called in just before 9 a.m. and was brought under control within an hour.

Shannon became an official scorer for the American League in 1979 and the National League one year later. In recent seasons, he was the senior official scorer for games of the New York Yankees and Mets. He also has contributed stories to The Associated Press.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re: Baseball writer dies in house fire

Jesus, that's just awful.

I hope his mother is ok.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agreed. Weird that the story doesn't mention the mother.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Here's something more comlete:

From: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/26/AR2010102603602.html

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Good Lord that sounds awful.

Maybe it's time we put the kibosh on the DIAF joke around here for a while.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

should have been ki-boshed a long, long time ago. Anyone who would even joke about that needs help. Awful, awful stuff I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

RIP Mr. Shannon and condolences to his family.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks, Oggie.

How terrible. I feel bad for the neighbors who had to witness that. Glad they could rescue the mother, though.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Just heard this terrble, terrible news.

Anyone who spent any time around New York ballparks or New York sports in general knew what a great guy Bill was.
    I was about to start an RIP thread when I saw "baseball writer dies".
    I think someone should put Bill's name in the thread title.

RIP, Mr. Shannon

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RIP

My God, this is just horrible.

Was the window painted shut?

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

RIP. :(
    Thank God they were able to rescue his mom, but she'll be needing lots of thoughts and prayers since she lost her son. She may be of an age where she doesn't know or understand what happened, but in either case it's got to be tough on her.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Mrs. Shannon is in her 90s
    Despite what the first report said, Bill was 69.

This is incredibly sad.

12. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I know I haven't contributed here in a long time, and I apologize for that, but my mobility is getting worse, making it difficult to sit here. I did want to say, however, that Bill Shannon was a terrific guy and this is just another terrible loss to the baseball writing community -- Vic Ziegel, Maury Allen, Mike Celizik and, now, Mr. Shannon. I pray the bad news is now over and I offer the Shannon family my sincere condolences.

Draft saved Draft deleted