1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

80-90 cuts expected at the OC Register (story published April 28)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Claws for Concern, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The sad thing is OCR at one point was a damn good paper. It still is in spots, even if a nick here and a hacked limb there are slowly eating away at it.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Mid, while it sounds like you work there and obviously have feeling about some of this stuff, I'm hearing a different story. Sounds like you have a beef, and I can respect that.
    Word I'm hearing is the concensus there was not one of relief when Gibson was let go. It appeared to be more of shock. I've been told the deputy SEs (team leaders, etc.) were not prepared for this and didn't think this could happen. A majority of people weren't sure why it happened.
    Apparently, there was also what on the surface initially appeared to be a smart-ass comment during the sports meeting that turned out to be a scary possibility.
    The staff was told this would be the end of cuts, to which someone asked "You mean this quarter, right?"
    The higher-up answered "Well, yes."
    I hope more cuts aren't on the way.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

That's fucked up!

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Heel makes one good point. It's time newspapers take a look at covering sports that aren't covered elsewhere. Make it interesting, worth reading, and not found on ESPN. It's hard, and I'm not saying newspapers need to ignore the major sports, but newspapers have to find a way to get readers. Maybe that means covering sports that other papers and media outlets don't. MMA, fantasy, motorsports. It might not be the answer, but doing it the traditional way isn't working either.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I know people care about it.

But when "fantasy" anything becomes acceptable fare in a newspaper . . . that's where we part company.

6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Well, as long as you admit it's personal ...

This doesn't read like poor management. It reads as if Greg told Damian the Reg didn't have the money to send him to Daytona, so he couldn't go and would have to work his regular Sunday agate shift. Damian said he would go and pay his own way, and Greg said fine but we still need you on Sunday. It is entirely possible Greg had the schedule for the week completed well in advance, knowing that Damian wouldn't be going to Daytona, and when Damian decided to pay his own way, Greg couldn't juggle the schedule in time.

7. Mid Card Heel

Mid Card Heel New Member

Right, I could see a newspaper not sending it's NFL writer to the Super Bowl.

I'm not going to debate right or wrong in this instance. I don't believe that Gibson was very good at his job and it seems like his bosses at the Register agree, seeing that he no longer has a job.

Exactly, and he did.

8. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Saw the OCR for the first time in print last week. Thought the sports section was well-thought-out and readable. Then again, I'm not much of an MMA guy, so what do I know?
    The idea that this was based on merit is indeed cute. But utterly unrealistic. I've worked at papers where if they would have fired folks if they weren't afraid of the wrongful-termination lawsuits. And if this were a merit-based decision, I'd bet Gibson would have one of those suckers in the works as I type. Just because he didn't do the best job possible doesn't mean he would get fired for that.
    It's the money, stupid.

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

It is not unusual for a newspaper not to send its NFL writer to the Super Bowl. There is plenty of copy on the wires. I'm not going to debate right or wrong either, but financial constraints are a depressing reality in this business.

And, as reported in the story linked above, Gibson's bosses were startlingly clear that the layoffs were targeted toward high-salaried employees (see below). This is absolutely not a reflection on his performance. The two sports employees laid off were Gibson and outdoors writer Dave Strege, who had been there since 1980.

"In this round of layoffs, managers protected basic reporting and editing staff and targeted high salary employees, so that fewer people were laid off, said Register Editor and Senior Vice President Ken Brusic."

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For a long period of time, the OCR was the second best paper in California... I don't know where it ranks now, but obviously this won't help matters...

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yeah, motorsports are really struggling to get the coverage they deserve. We need more gearhead stories, RPMmutant.

12. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

This is hilarious and exactly what is wrong with some people in the newspaper business who just don't get it.

Why would anybody at the OCR think they should spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to send a writer to Daytona unless there is some compelling local story to get?

If there's a local driver who has a chance to win, OK. OCR readers want that and you can't get that off the wire.

Otherwise it's just a fun trip for the writer.

But it's not about the writer. It's about the readers.
    Readers don't care if the local staff writer goes to Daytona no matter who he is or how long he's been there.

And this had nothing to do with the SE getting laid off. If anything, it probably kept him around a little longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.