1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

8-year-old kills dad and another man

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 8, 2008.

1. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Definitely not. Kid obviously needs serious help.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Good thing dad taught the kid to handle guns!

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Geez. This is just heartbreaking on a lot of levels.

4. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

And unless this is some sort of cross-threading I'm missing ... "enthusiasts"? Really?

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah, that phrasing is really creepy.

Makes it seem like a hobby or something.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Maybe all of our gun enthusiasts -- and that is the right word in this case -- can explain to me why an 8-year-old should ever be allowed to touch a gun.
    Hell, in most of this country, kids aren't even allowed to play with toy guns any more, let alone the real ones they can use to kill their father.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

EDIT: Can't pull the trigger. Want to, but don't have the heart.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Reading the story, the cops are trying to charge him AS AN ADULT?

The kid is 8 years old! He should be playing with Matchbox cars and having bedtime stories read to him.

Not saying he should be jailed in a juvie prison if found guilty. But giving the kid life in prison is a bit harsh.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime!

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

as they say on Family Feud, "good answer"

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Because every 8-year old is different and maturity levels differ.

My 8-year olds shot rifles at the target range with my supervision. One shot at a time, hearing and eye protection, the works. They understand about firearms being dangerous and the "mystery" has been removed, so they're not poking around trying to get into the locked gun safes.

We also talk about people with unrealistic ideas who unrealistically advocate total eradication of firearms. But firearms are here to stay. Period. So those people can just keep on dreaming because that's what they're doing.

Let's wait to see what the police investigation reveals and if abuse was a factor. It is easy to sit in an ivory tower and proclaim all guns should be eradicated and that an 8-year old could have asked someone for help to combat the abusers. The reality is ... we don't know the entire story and all too often, an 8-year old being abused repeatedly might believe this was his best option.

Enthusiast is a good word, because when I go shooting or hunting I do it enthusiastically. If anyone ever breaks into my house or threatens my family, I'll enthusiastically perforate their ass with whatever firearm I can get my hands on and won't think twice about it.

12. I Digress

I Digress Guest

this story is weird. i'd like to know why the police are pushing so hard against this kid. Something had to be going on in that house for this to happen, didn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted