1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

8-year-old dies during football practice

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Or maybe his parents gave him Ephedra to make weight.

Story does say it was first day of practice so most likely they were not in pads.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Very disturbing. Different kids. Same day or general time frame.
    Asthma doesn't preclude participation in sports, but football in August is still dangerous for a lot of reasons.

3. swenk

swenk Member

Last summer, my daughter's close friend--17 years old--dropped dead suddenly on the soccer field. No warning, no health problems. Her heart just stopped. She died almost instantly. The autopsy showed she had a heart condition that no teenager would have been tested for, unless she had earlier symptoms, which she did not.

Her father, who is in the sports radio business and is undoubtedly known to many people here, said, 'We had no way of knowing, but her heart was going to give her 17 years, and that was all.'

Horrible things happen for no apparent reason. Her parents are starting a foundation to create awareness and testing programs for youth athletics, in hopes that their daughter's death will save other kids. RIP, Jenny.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

5. The 8-year-old who died collapsed on the field Monday, on the first day of practice, after complaining of not feeling well and his legs hurting. He passed away at a Chalrleston Hospital early Tuesday morning.
    As Rick pointed out he likely he had a undiagnosed pre-existing condition.
    The youth football league there does NOT require physicals, which is not uncommon, around here anyways.
    In my humble opinion, 8 is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too young to be playing football. period.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sad story. Hate hearing about a death like that every year about this time. I know the details aren't known, I'm just speaking about the timing.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

agree

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Why is that?

What Sports do you think are appropriate for 8 year old?

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm assuming it wasn't tackle. If it was, who knows.

10. It is too young for contact sports.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So that pretty much rules out soccer, basketball and baseball too.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That's weird. The story I found -- that ended with "There's no word on plans for funeral services for Gavin Ward at this time." -- was marked as having posted "17 hours ago" when I found it.

Draft saved Draft deleted