1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

8-year-old dies during football practice

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20090805/Player.Dies/

This usually happens more at the high school and college level.
    Obviously, it didn't give the whole story, how hard the practice was, how much water the kids were allowed to drink, if the kid had some sort of medical issue, etc.
    I can see tough Batan Death March-type practices at higher levels, but what good does it do to run 8-year-olds, most of whom have never played football before, into the ground?
    Maybe it gives the coaches a chance to show how tough they were when they played, but do the kids really care about that?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What makes you think they were running the kids into the ground?

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What do you think happened?

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

There's really not enough detail in the story at all to determine the boy's cause of death, like what smallpotoatoes said.

Terrible, though.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Do you always paint in broad strokes?

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Anything could have happened. The story doesn't provide enough information to draw the conclusion they ran the kids into the ground.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The most likely scenario is that the child had a pre-existing, undiagnosed issue. I guess teh "Run them into the ground" thing is posssible, but it just doesn't seem likely.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Kid could have some medical condition, could have been hit wrong, could have asthma. My experience is that youth football players aren't run all that much but it's possible on the first day the coach could have had them running.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Oops. Sorry.

I deleted the post, which I should have been more careful about. Looks like two youth football deaths early this week, which is what threw me as I scanned. I wasn't expecting that, thinking I was reading another story in a series of links about the same boy.

Sad. My condolences to both families.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

More often than not an undiagnosed pre-existing condition is the cause for a practice death.

But it's always more fun to paint all football coaches as sadists, so don't let me rain on your parade.

Draft saved Draft deleted