1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

8 murdered at Conn. beer distributor; shooter commits suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

http://blog.al.com/wire/2010/08/gunman_8_others_fatally_shot_i.html

MANCHESTER, Conn. — A black warehouse driver who had complained of racial harassment at work went on a shooting rampage at a beer distributorship Tuesday after he was asked to quit, killing eight people before apparently committing suicide, authorities said.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

There was also a little problem with him being caught on viseo tape stealing beer.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How is the beer? Is the beer okay?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The guy's a thief and a murderer and the AP frames it as somebody fighting back against racial prejudice.

Unbelievable.

And it's nice of them to get his and his family's sympathetic take on the situation out there with no independent corroboration before they gather all of the facts.

Aw. What a sweet guy.

He loved everybody, but had just reached his breaking point.

Could have happened to any of us.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

They did alter the start of the story, it looks like. The updated version:

6. YankeeFan

It's still irresponsible of the AP to initially lead with the racial angle.

They don't quote the gunman. They don't quote the girlfriend's second hand account of what the gunman told her. They quote the mother of the girlfriend's third hand account of what the girlfriend told the mother what the gunman supposedly said.

Would they print a third hand account of someone claiming this guy was a jerk?

So why would they go with a third hand account of racial issues?

Even if he told the girlfriend that there was racial problems, without independent corroboration, there's no way to know if that was just a lie to cover up the fact that he was going to be fired for theft.

It's a lot easier to tell your girlfriend that you're getting fired because your company is racist than it is to tell her you've been caught on videotape stealing.

7. YankeeFan

[​IMG]

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000705746941&ref=search

"Likes" include the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) & Barack Obama.

Phew! I was worried a right wing radio talk show host or the Tea party had inspired him.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I think AP led with the racial harassment angle because it A) speaks to possible motive, and B) it didn't yet have the info on him allegedly stealing beer. The version linked by slappy had the company saying he was scheduled for a disciplinary hearing, but it wouldn't say what for. So I don't think there's anything political here.

However, the family is as nutty as the shooter was saying he had reached his "breaking point," no matter what happened to him at work. An otherwise sane person does not fire upon his workplace because of troubles. Only a person who is troubled -- as in, issues with mental illness -- to begin with does so.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

High Life privileges: Revoked.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As for why lead with the discrimination stuff - people always want to know the "why" - it helps them think something like this couldn't happen to them.
    If you feel you've been treated badly, you sue. Asshats like this are the reason companies that lay people off shuffle them out the door with a guard in tow.
    Cue the "Guns should be banned/black people are scary" debates on the cable nets. I always forget when something like this happens, do we blame the guy? Do we blame society? Do we blame his media sources?

11. YankeeFan

I understand that people want to know what the motive was, but that doesn't excuse the AP from running third hand, incendiary, speculation.

I thought the lesson we were supposed to have learned from the Breitbart incident was that we don't rush to conclusions.

Yet, the AP goes with a third hand claim that this family owned business allowed a racist atmosphere to fester.

They offered to proof. No corroboration. And they didn't get a response from anyone at the company before running with it.

The Hollander family -- among the victims of the shooting -- deserve an apology from the AP the same as Shirley Sherrod deserves an apology from Andrew Breitbart.

I'll wait for the outrage directed at the AP.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.