1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

8 dead in N.C. nursing home rampage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 29, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Guy with gun, this morning, no known motive.

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The times that I've visited my father in a nursing home, I've been surprised how easy it was for me to get in and how nobody questioned who I was or why I was there.
    This morning, I picked him him to take him to his 75th birthday party and I did have to sign a log to get him out, but other than that, it seems odd that there's no real security at the place to speak of.
    I wonder if that might change after this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Perhaps its just selective memory, but it sure seems like the majority of these killings, be they at schools, workplaces, or wherever, occur during the Spring.
  5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

My wife runs an assisted living facility in our town. I have to say a gunman choosing her facility for a rampage never occured to me.

Now it does. So awesome.
  6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

When I was in college, the hockey coach absolutely hated old people and everything about them. Not sure where this hate came from, but he was ranting about it one day as he drove me to the rink (he also taught a class called hockey 101, I had an elective and it fit in my schedule. Easy marks, but I still needed a ride to the rink). the guy was a bit of a douche.
  7. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Not that anyone who would do this would have any sense of right and wrong, but how much of a loser asshole do you have to be to hunt people with no means to protect themselves or escape?
  9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A pretty big loser asshole.
  10. lono

lono Active Member

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hope the doctors keep this guy alive so he can stand trial.

Then, if convicted, fry his ass.
  12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Read The Copycat Effect by Loren Coleman. It gives great support to your point. Fascinating read. Did a research paper on the copycat issue last year. Lots of interesting -- and horrifying -- stuff.
Draft saved Draft deleted