1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

8-9-10 Remembering Dick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Aug 9, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Twenty years ago this week, Mariah Carey hit no. 1 for the first time ever with "Vision Of Love."

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, Nixon would just have to show that a feeble, dying old man started the "dirty tricks" squad to smear Edmund Muskie and other candidates to end any chance his own party had to win the 1972 presidential election, and that a private citizen nearly four years removed from office oversaw a break-in to the national headquarters of his own political party while living on a ranch in Texas, and then orchestrated a poorly-run cover-up from the grave.

But it could happen.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Twenty years ago today I was at Put-in-Bay getting bombed out of my mind. That goes for pretty much every day during the summer of 1990.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

"Yes, Nixon would just have to show that a feeble, dying old man started the "dirty tricks" squad to smear Edmund Muskie and other candidates to end any chance his own party had to win the 1972 presidential election, and that a private citizen nearly four years removed from office oversaw a break-in to the national headquarters of his own political party while living on a ranch in Texas, and then orchestrated a poorly-run cover-up from the grave.

But it could happen."

From what I have seen recently, you can blame your predecessor for pretty much anything and those that want to believe it will believe it. It doesn't take much to get your cheering supporters to suspend reality if they are already convinced you are infallible.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

"It was 20 years ago today ... Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play ..."

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That's true, in some cases.

But LBJ did not start Watergate, while Bush did start the wars in Iraq and in Afghanistan, with no clearly specified goals and with no exit strategies.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When the break-in happened, Nixon should have played it off as a prank gone wrong or perhaps a misguided overzealous effort by an RNC operative and tie it off.
    Iran Contra was worse.

As we saw with the Clinton thing - once you open the door to a prosecutor, he's not going to leave empty handed.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I wasn't born when this happened and did not know the event happened on this day, rather yesterday... 36 years ago.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

See, mustang. You learn something new every da.... 36 years.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

These guys remember dick.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sure he would. He'd have an entire TV network running interference for him 24/7 and filling the air with shrieking doom and gloom about the dire consequences of any actions against him.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

On this day in 48 BC, Julius Caesar defeated Pompey at Pharsalus and Pompey fled to Egypt. Obviously many of those posting here weren't born, or fail to see the significance of both the date and the event, including a guy who calls himself a moderator but is an instigator. Now clear aside while I prepare tomorrow's post, in which I will inform you that on 10/10/77, the Son of Sam was arrested. I plan to call the thread, "It's a 44 Caliber Day!"

Draft saved Draft deleted