1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

8.8 earthquake hits Chile; tsunami alert for Pacific

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Feb 27, 2010.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So how many people are gonna try to surf the thing? This IS Hawaii after all.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

On one feed I saw a kid on a board.

3. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I've seen a number of folks surfing.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Further proof of the stupidity of the human race.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

CNN host feels like he has to add "we're hoping for the best, obviously" after detailing that it may not be as bad as first thought. I'm pretty sure no one believes him. They're hoping for chaos -- it's a better story.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, the breathless anticipation over an eight-foot wave is pretty fucking ridiculous

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It is the increase in the shoreline. Imagine if the ocean went up eight feet. That shore would be pushed back hundreds of feet, then the water rushes back and takes everything not bolted down with it.

Hawaii is the end of a massive mountain range that you cannot see since it is mostly underwater. When you have a continental shelf, you can see the wave build and build over 50-100 miles. Hawaii does not have a shelf.

Here, they won't know how bad the wave is until it is literally on top of them.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Honolulu Advertiser is reporting the water is already receding in Hilo. Only got about three feet of water.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

OK, so, here's all I'm saying. In 2004, I visited Thailand for two weeks and two months after I left, it got wiped out pretty badly by the tsunami. I lived in Hawaii for the last year and moved to the northeast three months ago. Then I see another tsunami (though clearly not as devastating) hit.

I'm starting to think I'm a harbinger of destruction (or, in Hawaii's case, mild inconvenience).

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

GET AWAY FROM THE NORTHEAST!!!! (but not until after I leave, whenever that might be)

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

or maybe a politician?

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Stay in the Northeast as long as you want.
    Disaster seems to hit only after you leave, so stay in the northeast as long as you want.

Draft saved Draft deleted