1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

8.8 earthquake hits Chile; tsunami alert for Pacific

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Feb 27, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Friend of mine has family staying about 100 yards from the beach in Maui. It's not in the area expected to be hardest hit, and they've moved everyone to the 8th floor or higher just to be safer. He said they thought about driving inland further, but the traffic is obviously at a standstill.

This article makes it sound like it won't be too devastating. Two-three foot waves for most of the Hawaii islands.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/us/28warning.html

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Building codes.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That can't explain it all. 500 to 1,000 times more powerful; that's hard to comprehend.

I'd have to think that if it had happened as close to a major city as Haiti's did, the destruction would be mammoth, regardless of building codes.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The depth makes the biggest difference. If it's centered further down, the damage will be mitigated significantly.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know there are buoys to detect tsunamis off US states, but you'd think there would be some satellite somewhere (or a boat or two) that is somewhere between Chile and Hawaii that could give the ocean a look see instead of just waiting three hours.

6. 93Devil

I guess 4 p.m., EST will be a little tense for the people of Hawaii.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The Richter scale is a logarithmic function. Which means a 2.0 quake is 10 times more powerful than a 1.0 quake. A 3.0 quake is 100 times more powerful than a 1.0 quake.

8. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Is anyone watching the live feed from Waikiki beach on the Advertiser's site?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yes

10. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

My internet was being twitchy earlier, but it's finally streaming the feed. Also have msnbc on, watching their coverage.

11. 93Devil

I have CNN on.

This is facinating.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

It's like the Calipari door, but with water.

Draft saved Draft deleted