1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Examiner.com Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by avgregerson63, Jun 10, 2010.

1. avgregerson63

avgregerson63 New Member

I was wondering what you all have heard/think of the examiner chain of websites? For those of you who haven't heard of it, it's basically a bunch of websites just starting up that are geared towards various metro areas. They have sections for news, sports, living, etc., and hire writers to cover the various beats; but they're paying $1 per article with some small incentives for amassing hits.

I think the idea of having personalized websites focusing on individual cities is a cool idea (an idea about to be blown-out by the WWL), but is it worth a buck per article to write for it? I myself am a college student who has been getting some freelance gigs from more established papers, but would you see a spot as the high school sports writer from the examiner on my resume as anything more than filler?

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

It's not hard work, but your work is worth more than $1 a page.

3. pffft

pffft Member

I see these job listings everywhere. That's usually not a good sign. Seems as if they would take just about anybody.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Examiner isn't a recent startup. If I'm not mistaken, it was started by billionaire Phillip Anschulz. The company seems to have plenty of cash for help wanted ads in many different outlets, but not so much money to pay a decent wage.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

It's all about how many hits you can bring. You will be asking your friends to click on the links unless you write about the NBA, NFL, etc.
    You can make power-bill money, but you'll whore yourself out a bit. Search for it on here, and you'll get all the answers you need.

6. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I would give this a profound and resounding Hell, Fuck and Shit NO. I worked for Examiner.com and you are better off looking up and down your street for spare change unless you are an MMA writer or perhaps a boxing writer. In fact, it is much preferred because in addition to making more money than you will as an "Examiner," you will also be getting some exercise as you walk looking for spare change.

If you are a person who maybe wants to write just for the hell of it in your free time, are independently wealthy or perhaps are just starting to write and want to get some high placement on Google it might be good. Otherwise, I would stay the hell away. The most interesting thing about Examiner.com is some of the topics for which they have "Examiners"

To wit: Alternative Energy Buzz Examiner; Sustainable Landscaping Examiner; Bear Attacks Examiner; Ivory Coast Football Examiner; Hypnotic Love Examiner; Amish Culture Examiner (because 98 percent of Amish homes have the Internet but not electricity don't cha know)

There are a bunch more, especially at the local cities level.

If you like anonymity you are in luck because none of your stories will be edited, questioned or even looked at more than likely. You can write 38 inches or 2 paragraphs.

One thing they emphasize is key words and you do your own headlines and taglines. So, for news of today for example you probably would get a lot more hits with something like: "Lady Gaga spills on Gulf Oil and its importance on Pac-10 expansion" rather than simply "Colorado joins Pac-10."

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I would so click on the Lady Gaga one.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Lady Gaga helps Jim Delaney perfect poker face to destroy Big 12.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

They just about will, especially if they have "Bear Attacks Examiner" roles.

This is nothing more than gussied-up 'citizen journalism' with little pay unless you get the hits. I have had former co-workers and friends become "examiners" and then basically spam their friends begging for hits to their stories.

Unfortunately, I have seen two or three instances where these "examiners" are used as sources or links on otherwise legitimate sites.

10. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

I'm doing the examiner.com thing right now and this is my take on it - it is what the writer makes it. I really believe that some who are on the site like me are legitimate professionals. I have been out of full-time work in the field for nearly 3 years and this has been a way for me to keep writing, which I try to do in as many places as possible.
    I am the "examiner" for the AHL hockey team the Springfield Falcons and while I know doing this isn't going to make me any money, I have had the opportunity to get a couple exclusive interviews with the President/GM with the club re: the potential sale and subsequent move of the club, the recent new affiliation with Columbus, potential players on the 2010-11 roster, etc. I have built a good working relationship with their media relations guy and am working on getting credentials for the upcoming season. Once that happens, I can pick up work with the short-staffed local paper or hook on stringing assignments for out-of-town papers.

11. avgregerson63

avgregerson63 New Member

Thank you all for the feedback -- Examiner gets the 39 1/2 foot pole treatment.

12. fightingwords1

fightingwords1 New Member

This from an Advertising Age article:

http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=144286

Draft saved Draft deleted