1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

78-year-old mayor dukes it out with publisher

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This story reminds me of this classic bit of awesomeness from about 10 years ago. A TV reporter from Jackson, Miss., confronts then-governor Kirk Fordice over a trip the governor took to Europe with a woman not his wife -- at least part of which appeared to be on the state's dime.
    The best part starts around the 1:50 mark, when the reporter goes to the governor's home and meets him at the mailbox.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Fordice was a Grade A, flaming asshole, but Bert Case used poor judgment in ambushing the man in his driveway. Still, Bert came out of it much the better, because it showed the people just what a petty jerk the guvnah really was.

As for the deal in Gallup, looks like this publisher has a serious axe to grind with the mayor, and he's put himself and his paper on mighty thin ice.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I didn't really care who was right or who was wrong. I just always found the entire exchange hilarious, as I suspect most of the state of Mississippi did. How often do you find a sitting governor at home, with no security detail? Let alone antagonize him to the point he threatens to whip a crotchety old reporter's ass before flinging his junk mail at him?

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there's anything libelous in the most recent story, but ethically speaking, I've got to join the chorus in questioning its relevance. Why bother? If there are no records to prove anything and no new information, let it go.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Without a doubt. That whole episode was priceless. Between Fordice's antics and Ray Mabus' toxic divorce, we've had some highly entertaining domestic issues come out of the Governor's Mansion in Jackson.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Tame compared to South Carolina ...

Draft saved Draft deleted