1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

755 - Bonds ties Hank Aaron!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Top of the second inning off of Clay Hensley

The HR came on a 2-1 pitch.

Fox Sports reports that after he hit the record-tying homer, the San Diego crowd gave Bonds a polite round of applause. Some fans booed. At the conclusion of the inning, the Padres fans 'saluted' Bonds, according to the characterization given by Fox Sports.

Bud Selig was in attendance, and apparently had little reaction, although he did stand for the moment. His hands were in his pockets.

A fan (I believe the fan that caught the HR ball) pretended to throw the 755 ball back on the field, but it was a different ball than the one Bonds had driven beyond the fence.

As this is his 9th straight game started, and that tomorrow is a day game following a night game, chances are Bonds will sit out tomorrow's contest between the teams and resume his quest for the outright record starting with Monday's game against Washington, the first of a 7-game San Francisco homestand against the Nationals and the Pirates.

Unless, of course, he hits another shot tonight.

This is only the second time in MLB's 125+ year history that a player has reached the 755 career home runs plateau.

Bonds' shot will undoubtedly overshadow the accomplishment earlier in the day by A-Rod, who hit his 500th career HR against the Royals. Rodriguez is the 22nd player in MLB history to reach the milestone, and he is the youngest (32 years, 8 days) in the the league's history to do so, bettering the standard established by Jimmie Foxx (32 years, 338 days).

Ironically, the pitcher whom Bonds hit # 755 off of, Clay Hensley, was himself suspended (April 2005 - 15 games) in the minor leagues for using either steroids or steroid precursors.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Re: 755 - BONDS TIES HANK AARON!!!

The caps make me want to hurl. But, it is big news.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

And had he read the other threads...

4. Unfortunately those got locked.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

But he did his before they got locked.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And a perfect way to do it in the steroids generation: Opposite field in one of the hardest parks to hit one out in. Nope, cream and the clear (and whatever the fuck he's on now) don't help at all.

7. Exactly. They got locked because of this one.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i know it's too much to ask, but i hope Bonds walks for the rest of the year.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm assuming AP isn't waiting for confirmation on this. Be nice if they could fill in the "x"s and get the fucking story out.

10. Click, group, delete.

There went my front page.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Ten minutes later, here's what we've got from AP:

Pssst, Janie. I'd really like to get this in. Lots of us on deadline in the East.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I honestly didn't know how I'd feel when Bonds tied/passed Aaron. Now that he's tied Aaron? I feel kind of sad. Just doesn't seem right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.