1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

747 crash caught on camera

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This is amazingly horrifying.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c32_1367332518

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Saw that from a different link earlier today. Story said that on takeoff some of the cargo shifted, throwing the plane's center of balance off and causing it to stall. Don't know how that could be determined so quickly, unless the crew radioed in something. And I would think they had their hands full with other things at the time.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's amazing.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What's amazing is the gear gets extended; I doubt that's an automatic response by the plane, but instead a last act by the pilot.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Did the guy driving really remain completely silent watching this? I'd put out a string of expletives seven minutes long if I witnessed that.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am not sure they ever got the gear up as this happened at take off. Sure looks like a stall the way the nose pitches up.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wondered about that too. Around 1:15, he lets one fly. But that's it.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The gear drops fairly clearly as it levels out in the last moments.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I am sure the investigation will go over all this, but that seemed to be an awfully steep climb (almost vertical) on takeoff. A 747 is not exactly a fighter jet -- it's not equipped to rocket straight up off the ground -- and obviously at some point this one didn't have the horses to maintain a stable flight path, and stalled out.

Is it normal at Bagram (due to possible 'rogue' weapons fire from the ground) for planes to make super-steep takeoffs, to get them out of range of low-end weapons faster?

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Steep climbs are fairly common for large aircraft trying to clear the mountains 10 miles away after departing from runway 3.

Not that steep, though. I have a few buddies still there who say the rumor is load shift.

It wouldn't take much of a shift in aft CG to cause that to happen. That explains the appearance of a steep climb. The loss of only a few pounds on the tail rotor (because it's so far behind the transmission) can cause a Black Hawk to be unrecoverable.

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I think the load shifted, causing the stall. A good loadmaster can make or break a transport aircraft.

And that was one of the worst plane crashes I've ever seen on film.

Draft saved Draft deleted