1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for sportswriter

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by World of Basketball, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World of Basketball

World of Basketball New Member

Hello everybody,

we would like to announce that we need a sportswriters to write for our web site World of Basketball ( http://www.worldofbasketball.org ).
    Since we are non-profit web site, we cannot pay for writings, but we will promote your articles and help you to find better and paid job. This could be of interest for young, not so experienced sportswriters but for others as well.
    We need someone to write about Euroleague, EuroCup, NBA. But, all other Basketball related articles are very welcome.
    If someone is interested, please contact us at: info@worldofbasketball.org
    Thank you,

2. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

This will go over well.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Interesting concept and good luck.

4. World of Basketball

Thank you. We are pretty young site and we really hard trying to promote Basketball sport around the world. We hope so that we will succeed in our goals.
    All the best,

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I say delete since this isn't even freelancing. I don't care is your site is non-profit, that doesn't mean squat. The CEO of the "non-profit" hospital in my city will make more money in five years then I probably will in a lifetime.

If Euroleague is your "partner", then that organization should have the cash to shell out a few buck for articles.

Obviously, you want people to make you money without having to do anything in return.

6. World of Basketball

Pretty rude, but OK.
    We are Euroleague Media Collaborator, and that means that we can collaborate in news exchange, adding Euroleague promotions, etc... We are not paid by Euroleague and we will not be.
    I said at beggining that thing that we can do is to promote articles written by someone and help him/her to find better and paid job.
    Sorry to make you upset with my post. All the best.

7. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

What part of "Professionals don't work for free" don't you get?

8. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

It is quite clear from the original poster's use of English that this is coming from Europe. Perhaps they are unaware of the dire situation of the sports journalism industry here in the states. I'd assume that it's a global issue but not many people here can afford to work for free these days.

9. World of Basketball

Yes, I am from Europe as the most of the editorial staff. But, we also have Americans who write for us - free (Basketball coaches with fantastic experience), Australian sportswriter, Swedish sportswriter.
    No offense guys, we just wanted to find someone to write for us - free. Not much, maybe few articles (one short article every 10 - 15 days).
    I just don't understand why some guys are such rude and angry. I am professional in my job, due to this damn recession I am currently unemployed and doing this editorial job as a volunteer, just to keep in touch with Basketball.
    All the best to all of you, and hopefully you won't get mad about my writings.
    Cheers,

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Agreed. And I'll second the vote to delete it.

And I'll raise the question whether it's a true non-profit organization.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

No one EVER should be asked to write for free. Does a plumber work for free? Does an electrician work for free? Does a builder work for free?

Neither does a writer.

And if you think the responses have been rude you haven't seen rude.

12. World of Basketball

Heeeh, my friend. In this part of world there a lot of rude things everyday. I didn't want to make you or anyone else upset just with my question to write for free.
    In this part of the world people work for free, sometimes because they want to contribute, but sometimes because they have to. Maybe in US you can't understand this, but...
    In some way you are right, no one should work for free. But, maybe someone would like to contribute in this way, to get experience, etc... I don't know, I feel like on some trial, me against the rest of the world. I am protecting my opinion and you have yours, fine.
    And, sorry for my bad English, it is my third language, so maybe it is not that perfect.
    Greetings,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.