1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travel question about carry-on luggage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PaulS, Oct 29, 2009.

1. PaulS

PaulS Member

I've heard more airline travelers are carrying on and gate-checking to avoid fees. Is it getting more difficult to carry on luggage? Anybody experienced troubles? I'm about to start my busy travel season. Thanks.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Other than the toiletries thing, it's fine.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No troubles. Worst-case, you'll have to gatecheck, but you can just pick it up at the plane when you get off. As long as it's a 3-4 day trip and you can get buy with 3 oz. liquids, you're fine.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Seems like the gatecheck can be a sneaky way to avoid fees on some carriers. Board the plane late, when all the bins are inevitably full, then the airline doesn't have a choice but to gatecheck.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I flew to New York this summer and was afraid my bag would not be allowed as a carry on. In was one inch too big. When I got on the plane there were people with bags twice the size of mine.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

carry on luggage should not be allowed beyond a purse or briefcase

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Some airlines won't allow gate-checking, at least not the old way. They'll take your bag if there's no room in the overhead bins, but you won't get it back at the gate when you arrive. Instead, it'll wind up under the plane and you'll have to go through baggage claim.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

But you still don't have to pay the check fees. :)

9. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I haven't had any issues with carry-ons. I have my one bag that goes in the overhead bin and a messenger bag [that has assorted stuff to keep me preoccupied during the flight] that can be stowed under the seat. They still let you bring a backpack, messenger bag, man purse, etc. as long as it's small enough to fit under the seat.

The toiletry thing is kind of a joke. There have been a couple of times I've completely spaced on removing it from my bag and there has never been an issue. If I'm staying somewhere that has a CVS or Walgreens nearby I'll forgo bringing toiletries and just make purchases from the travel-size section once I've checked into the hotel. Whatever's left at the end of my visit goes into the trash.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

One more thing Boom and I can agree upon.

People should be charged for carry-ons, not for checking luggage.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Remember the 3 (actually 3.4) oz rule is TSA driven.

Most airlines limit it to 45 inches and 40 pounds. AirTran is 55.

Dependingon the airline and the fullness of the flight and where it is going usually drives if you can get away with not checking.

Just don't show up at my gate with a much too large bag. I'll charge you there

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Spnited - we seem to agree so much these days its overkill to even point it out.

If you put a pencil to it I would bet that Airlines would save money by not allowing carry ons.

Planes would load and off load quicker leading to less delays. Time would also be saved at security

Draft saved Draft deleted