1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Stillwater, OK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Again in less than a year.

Stillwater NewsPress is seeking a sports reporter to join our team at the start of 2010. We're a Big 12 university city daily, serving a community that is passionate about its sports at every level, from youth and recreational sports to the high schools to the Oklahoma State Cowboys. This position, as part of a three-person sports department, includes high school and OSU beats as well as a big emphasis on community sports. Stillwater NewsPress places a major emphasis on its sports coverage with an average of four pages per section during the week and larger sections on the weekend. The position also requires pagination two days a week so experience in layout is a plus. Candidates must possess good writing and reporting skills; be able to develop and maintain coverage of their beats; and generate story ideas in addition to handling assignments. Web and video are also part of our sports package. These skills are a plus. If you're looking for somewhere you can work hard, make a difference and be appreciated, send a resume, cover letter and examples of your best work to:

Sports Editor Scott Nulph Stillwater NewsPress, P.O. Box 2288, Stillwater, OK 74076 or e-mail at snulph@stwnewspress.com

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

CNHI and a dying paper from all I hear, and I mean a dying paper that is fading faster than the rest of us. Stay far away.

3. spud

spud Member

Wasn't this the rag that had the nuts to offer a straight-up $20,000 salary, presumably before taxes and any benefits if you're so lucky, in its last ad?

"Big emphasis on community sports" is almost as scary.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

$20,000 probably goes a little further in Oklahoma than other places. My first job out of college in 1994 was Bartlesville, Oklahoma, and I made $6.75 an hour ... which extrapolated out ot $13,500 a year, I think.

Looks like the cost of living is still cheap there. 2BR apt listing for $450; studios for $290. Still not much of a salary, though.

5. spud

spud Member

Oklahoma is still on this planet. $20,000 won't take you much of anywhere.

For the purposes of comparison, people working at McDonalds make more than $6.75/hr now. It's not too much to ask for a salary over $10/hr, which this does not offer unless something's changed. I guess if you're starving and you don't mind getting reamed a little, send 'em in.

6. sportsguydave

$20,000 figures out to $9.61 an hour.

I agree, $20,000 doesn't take you anywhere ... that kind of salary is really only suitable for someone on their own. I did okay on the $13,500 when I first started out ... as long as I stayed single. I wasn't rolling in the money or taking Caribbean cruises, but I had a nice apartment, a decent car and such.

Wonder what the over-under for resumes for this one is?

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's still thousands of unemployed sports journalists out there, including recent college grads. They'll get a couple dozen apps, at least.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Recent college grads will be all over this one. It's a chance to continue living in a college town.

50 applicants, minimum.

My first job out of high school was covering preps in a college town similar to Stillwater. I got $11/hour, got a couple of roommates and lived pretty comfortably.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I actually don't think the recent college grads will be too interested in this job, particularly given the reviews it has gotten here.

Any influence this site might have notwithstanding, nobody with a degree, and presumably, some modern technical and multi-media skills, is interested in making less than eight bucks an hour. And besides, young writers can shoot for, and get, much sweeter beats/gigs than this nowadays.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Do you actually know anyone who has graduated in the last two years? I know dozens, and only a fraction have any sort of job at all.

11. sportsguydave

Amen. I had a great kid I wanted to hire last year for a position that was eventually frozen. He had great clips, great references ... still looking for a job.

Tough market.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Well, then, here's hoping you guys' acquaintances will be interested in and will apply for this job.

I don't think they will, though. That's all I'm saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted