1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

7 found dead in Georgia trailer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

BRUNSWICK, Georgia (AP) — Seven people were found slain and two critically injured yesterday at a mobile home park built on the grounds of a historic plantation in southeastern Georgia, police said.
    Glynn County Police Chief Matt Doering called it the worst mass slaying in his 25 years of police work in this coastal Georgia county. He wouldn’t say how the victims died.
    “This is a record for us. We’ve never had such an incident with so many victims,” Doering told reporters. “It’s not a scene that I would want anybody to see.”
    A family member called police yesterday after discovering the bodies inside a dingy mobile home shaded by large, moss-draped oaks with an old boat in the front yard.
    At an afternoon news conference, Doering declined to say whether police believe the killer was among the dead or remained at large. No arrests had been made.
    Investigators were interviewing neighbors about whether they saw or heard anything unusual yesterday morning. The two injured victims were taken to a Savannah hospital and were in critical condition, Doering said.
    Located a few miles north of the port city of Brunswick, the mobile home park consists of about 100 spaces and is nestled among centuries-old live oak trees near the center of New Hope Plantation, according to the plantation’s Web site.
    The 1,100-acre tract is all that remains of a Crown grant made in 1763 to Henry Laurens, who later succeeded John Hancock as president of the Continental Congress in 1777.
    Laurens obtained control of the South Altamaha river lands and named it New Hope Plantation, according to the plantation’s Web site.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Local paper there says shootings... the pictures of the outside of the trailer make the place look gawd awful:

http://www.thebrunswicknews.com/open_access/local_news/Seven-Dead-in-Glynn-8_29_09

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I think I learned more from reading the comments than the story.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Journalism ethics time. Should you go trolling on the comments section of a rival paper looking for info? This was posted by "TU" (as in Florida Times-Union)

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Has Vicki Lawrence recorded a song about this yet?

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm confused ... there is no rival newspaper to the Times-Union in south Georgia.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't have a problem with it. As long as you make certain that they are indeed people who know the family, and not just some random jagoff who turns every thread into why Obama is a Nazi.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Brunswick News is the only other local paper beside the TU. A story like this may get Savannah, Atlanta and Augusta interested.

Draft saved Draft deleted