1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

7 dead, 7 wounded in Santa Barbara shooting rampage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

One comment I remember on the first Sandy Hook thread on here was about how criminals will always find a way to get gun.
    Somebody noted that the shooters in these cases were from well-off, suburban families and probably wouldn't have the street sense to purchase a gun illegally.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

If you read his manifesto, he hints that he's a fascist.
    He also has animosity toward black people, dislikes Asians or at least looking like an Asian guy, and disparages the poor and working class.
    Read the whole thing in bewildered horror this morning.
    The combined narcissism and self-pity were breathtaking.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Plus it's college, where it's a sex-crazed meat market. A lot of pressure.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The guy apparently knew where to find a knife too.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I think this is on the right track, but the last part about earning it I think takes it a bit off course. First off, he seemed to dehumanize women, reducing them to things that could give him sex and love, but not actual other people he'd want to relate to. I mean, we talk about getting some ass, as if it's something to acquire, when I think that phrasing undercuts the fact it's a two-way street. It's about two people consenting to do something with one another. Now I expect most people know that, but there's a disturbing number who don't see a women's agency in that process.

And in truth, just saying it's about putting in work can feed that sort of emotional vortex that it seems like he fell into. He thinks he has to work hard to go after girls, and of course gets slapped back because he comes off as a weird guy working very hard to catch the attention of very attractive women. The work he would have had to do was on himself, and people don't really like to admit that. I mean, he considered himself the "ideal gentleman," but of course, an "ideal gentleman," doesn't make people uncomfortable.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

I am referring to the college world of conquest.
    I don't think this guy was seeking real companionship.
    He had a few of the resources a guy needs to pick up women.
    Daddy's sports coupe, access to private shows put on by Katy Perry, luxury vacations.
    Of all these recent killers, this fucking guy was the snottiest, IMO.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Being a prude is better than trying to get your arms around the copious lies profiteers tell young people to make them feel inadequate and spend money.

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The flat monotone. The weird air of smug distraction. Man, if he was half as boring in real life as he was on that tape, I can see why he died a virgin.

The guy took the idea of the mundanity of evil and ran with it.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Sorry, I know this is inappropriate, but every time I hear the word "manifesto" I think of the PAGANs from the movie Dragnet. "We believe that bad sex and good drugs are the cornerstones of a great democracy."

10. 3_Octave_Fart

These vids and biographical sources the maniac left behind are chilling.
    Theatrically narcissistic, full of himself, and desperately alone as he intones his morbid soliloquys.

11. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

But ain't that the key? There's a whole world in college beyond "conquest." Many worlds. And if someone doesn't have the personality to succeed there (some don't, no matter the cars and resources) and thinks it's the only world, well that's how you get this babbling woman-hating nonsense.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

His Internet history reveals he was heavily into men's rights activism.
    If you know anything about this group, these guys are total fucking weaklings.
    They fail and fail at life, so they hide behind a bogus movement rooted in misogyny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.