1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

7 dead, 7 wounded in Santa Barbara shooting rampage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I know gun advocates who have argued, in the wake of similar incidents, that the solution is to arm more people so potential victims can defend themselves until police arrive.

I'm sure that would have worked last night in Santa Barbara -- a dozen more people packing heat firing away from all locations on the street.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This still leaves me unsure why this would be a great day for the NRA.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I don't post here often so I can't tell if you're yanking my chain.

If you're being sincere, I'll try to explain. Although calling it a great day is a bit of hyperbole, the point is that NRA members can argue, as they have, that more armed citizens might have ended the carnage sooner.

More armed citizens = more guns (cuz we don't have enough on the streets) = more $$$$$$.

And, if gun-control advocates attack the NRA, the NRA can rally its members and shout out: See, they're trying to take all our guns.

It's a dance that has become predictable and painful to watch.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Has anyone associated, or even not associated, with the NRA made any argument along these lines in light of this shooting?

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Geez, if only some good guys withbguns were around. No Chipotle near UCSB??

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Mostly copycat syndrome. Also it hasn't gone up as much as it seems, coverage has.

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

You need to ask the poster who labeled today a great day for the NRA. I did not.

I've noted we've seen it in the wake of previous incidents. I made that quite clear.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

False. Of the 25 most deadly U.S. mass shootings, 12 have occurred since the start of 2007.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/us/20-deadliest-mass-shootings-in-u-s-history-fast-facts/

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sort of.

But that's why I said "copycat." It used to be you did it with a bomb.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yes, by all means, be sure to score cheap political points on the bodies of a bunch of dead college kids.

Try not get any blood on your shoes while you're standing on them.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, at least wait until they're buried like the open carry folks in Newton.

http://www.guns.com/2013/08/10/gun-advocates-come-to-show-their-support-newton-starbucks-closes-early/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.