1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

7 dead, 7 wounded in Santa Barbara shooting rampage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

This happened Friday night in my county; in fact, we were following it on the scanner in the newsroom.

http://santamariatimes.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/update-dead-wounded-in-isla-vista-shooting-rampage/article_94cd13be-e303-11e3-9560-0019bb2963f4.html

The latest: Shooter, who was killed by police, is reportedly the son of a Hollywood assistant director.

http://news.yahoo.com/attorney-family-suspects-son-shootings-193302526.html

Crazy stuff. At first, I kind of assumed it was a gang-type thing, but as details emerged it became clear this wasn't an ordinary drive-by thing.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

22-year-old virgin angry that women wouldn't have sex with him. Sounds like an SportsJournalists.com user.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Damn. And I expected the blame to be mental illness, guns, video games and the internet, roughly in that order. Inability to get pussy should have caused me to shoot randomly for years.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Early news reports describe a young man, whose parents were worried enough about his behavior to contact authorities, who interviewed him; who was under psychiatric care; and who was obsessed with video games.

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

His YouTube video made me want to punch a wall.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

When Columbine happened, it was such a major event that people actually remember where they were when it happened. Nowadays, there are at least 2-3 a year, maybe more, and people are like, 'Oh, another shooting?' I wonder why there has been such an uptick in public shootings. I mean, there has to be a reason. Undiagnosed mental illness? Copycat syndrome? Video games? I don't have a clue, but I'd be interested to know if there is a pattern among the shooters.

7. YankeeFan

Rodger, 22, was being treated by multiple therapists and was a student at Santa Barbara City College, said Schifman.

Schifman said in recent weeks that Rodger’s parents were concerned for their son's well being and reported his disturbing YouTube videos to police, which lead to an investigation. According to Schifman, police interviewed Rodger and found him to be “polite and kind.” He did not specify which law enforcement division conducted the interview.

A social worker also contacted police about Rodger last week, said Schifman.

Schifman said Rodger was diagnosed as being a high-functioning patient with Asperger syndrome and had trouble making friends.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/killed-mass-murder-shooting-uc-santa-barbara/story?id=23853918

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Three bodies found in his apartment.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Another great day for the NRA, which will somehow find a way to turn this into further Georgia-style legislation.

10. YankeeFan

Yikes!

11. YankeeFan

Why is this a great day for the NRA?

Do they support this kind of behavior?

12. YankeeFan

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-isla-vista-shooting-bodies20140524-story.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.