1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

7-9 UNC-Asheville center loses part of foot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by txsportsscribe, Oct 18, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

talk about a horrible thing to happen that ends your college hoops career.

UNC Asheville center Kenny George will most likely not play basketball again in his collegiate career after having part of his right foot amputated.

"This just breaks our heart," said coach Dave VanderMeulen of Chicago Latin, where George played in high school.

"I've talked to Kenny, and he's dealing with what kind of mountain he's facing and reflecting on what could have been...his parents are trying to keep his spirits up, but they are devastated, as any parents would whose child lost part of a limb."

George is known for two things: being nearly 7-foot-9 tall and being a 7-foot-9 guy that was dunked on by Tyler Hansbrough.

In August, George came back home from Pete Newell's Big Man Camp with MRSA -- a difficult-to-treat staph infection -- in his foot. He was then hospitalized and underwent several surgeries to save both his foot and his life. Three weeks ago, doctors decided to amputate part of the foot.

George was the Big South defensive player of the year. The would-be senior averaged 12.4 points and seven rebounds last season but could only average 20 minutes of playing time.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: sad end to a college career

Most likely??

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Saw George play two seasons ago when UNCA played Louisville. Stood next to him and chatted with him for a few seconds during warm ups, and he was pretty damned funny.

Made me and my 5-7 frame look like a dwarf, though.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

MRSA is some seriously bad shit.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

My brother-in-law's job is in research at the University of Wisconsin, trying to find shit that'll stop MRSA consistently.

So far... well, let's just say things aren't looking good.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The Army's had a several cases over the course of its combatives (hand-to-hand combat) program. Lost a couple of solders to it.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

So would Tony Parker. :)

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I know KG very well, and I hate this for him.
    I've long been a long proponent of him going to UNCA, Biedenbach being a good guy to take care of him and the somewhat sheltered environment keeping him safe. He's a really good guy, and he doesn't deserve this.
    Way, too bad.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

I'd never heard of this kid before. He's tall.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

This sucks so much. I've interviewed the kid in person, and he seemed really nice. The biggest thing I remember is him saying how difficult it was going through life as someone considered a "freak," and how that was infinitely tougher than everyday physical pain and annoyances (like fitting in desks and sleeping in beds and stuff like that).

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That's awful. You know he would have gotten a few NBA looks and at the least an overseas career just on his size. Now, assuming he's getting a prosthetic and will be able to walk reasonably normally, people will stop him on the street and ask if he ever thought about playing basketball. And it's going to break his heart.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Oh, and could we have the thread title changed? He's not a big-time college player, but people might remember him -- even if it was just as they flipped over to last year's Big South title game to watch Winthrop win again.

Draft saved Draft deleted