1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

7.8 earthquake in China

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, May 12, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, Mizzou, I'll defend you most of the time... but that was pretty damn ignorant.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Mr. Grad has been wrapping himself, and the board, in glory all week. His contributions to the Myanmar thread, the Pierce/Obama thread and now this one, do us all honor. He'll be back to tell us all we have no sense of humor - and don't know how to read Pierce, Simers or Le Batard - presently.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oh. I didn't quite get that. I saw 8,500 dead and increasing... and then his smiley face. I thought maybe I was missing something intelligible.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Mizzou's answer is indeed unpleasant, but it drills home a point: Next week, what will you care about? This? Or the state of your chosen industry? Or maybe the season finale of The Hills? Or Kobe v. Chris Paul?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Leave it to Alma to find the sunny side of everything. You truly are a mensch. [/not sarcasm]

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Does it have to be binary, Alma? Yes/no, care/don't? Do we now operate on the assumption that all Americans at all times are incapable of holding a charitable or mournful thought for more than a single news cycle? That every story is overtaken and overwhelmed by the next?

However true for however many, I guess I find that kind of heartbreaking.

Put me in mind of this, though, from Edna St. Vincent Millay, which I was reminded of last week, having seen it somewhere. Perhaps even on the board.

“Life isn't one damn thing after another. It's the same damn thing again and again.”

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

8. Mizzougrad96

The smiley face meant I was joking, not that I'm happy that anyone died...

9. Mizzougrad96

That's my point. People see that headline and they think, "Oh my God how awful..."

Then they forget about it... They pretend to care, but they don't...

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thankfully, quite a few people have the ability to hold more than one thought or emotion in their mind at the same time. Sadly, there's still quite a few people who have become so apathetic that they think it's a) OK and b) true with a majority of the population.

11. Mizzougrad96

I've watched 10 seconds of Earthquake footage, which is 10 seconds more than I've ever watched of The Hills... :D

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Just. Stop.

Draft saved Draft deleted