1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

7.6 Earthquake hits Mexico

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Mar 20, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

AP: "Strong, long quake shakes Mexico City."

No magnitude on USGS yet.

Updated with magnitude.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/pt12080001.php

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Re: 7.9 Mexico City Earthquake

7.6...Isn't one of Obama's kids down there?

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Re: 7.9 Earthquake hits Mexico

Wow, that's a big one. I don't know what the infrastructure is like there, but I can't imagine the city is as well-engineered and prepared as say San Francisco would be. I hope it doesn't turn into a Haiti-like situation of total destruction.

4. MileHigh

Re: 7.9 Earthquake hits Mexico

1985 I think it was was really bad in Mexico City.

This one is 120 miles south and east of Acapulco.

5. bigpern23

Just looking at the Google satellite image of the lat/lon for the epicenter, it looks like a fairly unpopulated area. Not sure how far its reach will go, but I'm hopeful at least it won't decimate a huge population center.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I was going to quibble over the geography references (epicenter is like 200 miles from MC), but apparently this thing shook the majority of the country. If you're 200 miles away from the epi and buildings are swaying, that's huge. Acapulco (115 miles) and Oaxaca (101) are much closer to the epicenter.

7. bigpern23

Unfortunately, the epicenter looks like it's smack dab in the middle of a small town, which I would think got leveled.

That said, it could have been a major disaster if it were actually in Mexico City. I'm wondering if Acapulco and Oaxaca are far enough away to avoid any major damage. Hopefully, it's like D.C. where some buildings got shook and cracked last year, but there wasn't extensive damage or injuries.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The city is basically built on jello (dried up lake bed) instead of dirt, so any earthquake there is an adventure.

9. bigpern23

I worked in an area that has a large Haitian immigrant population, so when that country got destroyed, it was huge news for us and the community we served.

When I saw "7.9 quake shakes Mexico City," I kind of assumed the worst.

10. MileHigh

Yup. It's why 1985 was so bad because when the actual quake ended, the city was still shaking as the soil settled.

120 miles from Acapulco and the fact it was a shallow quake could make for some destruction.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This report says a 6.2 hit Indonesia.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/strong-earthquakes-hit-mexico-indonesia/story-e6frf7lf-1226305789127

And I saw another one detailing a 3.8 in western Nevada.

12. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

My wife was in Mexico City during the earthquake in the 80s - - I thought it was 83 but that is not important. She said the hotel she was in was moving about as if it were dancing.

However, that quake was only about 5.9. If this one is 7.9, then this one is 100 times as strong as the one back in the 1980s. The Richter Scale is a logarithmic scale so a "6.9" is 10 times stronger than a "5.9" and a "7.9" is 10 times stronger than a "6.9".

Draft saved Draft deleted