1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school spring football?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

What states out there do high school spring football? What kind of coverage does it get in your paper?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Alabama has it. My former paper did very little with it.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

South Carolina has it. We usually do some kind of capsules for each team with practice dates, number of kids out, etc., and something like "Three Burning Questions" the team hopes to address during spring practice. But we don't cover that many schools, so we can afford to devote that kind of space. If you have 50-60 schools or more, like many papers, you wouldn't be able to do that.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I've heard that Texas, Florida and Oklahoma have it too. Any others?

5. jps

jps Active Member

yeah, Texas has spring ball for the higher classes, though coaches can opt out of spring days if they want to start practicing earlier in the fall. and you don't (I hope) need to ask what kind of coverage is given Texas high school football, regardless of when it's happening.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm sure those papers that still employ high school sportswriters tend to give it some love.

7. jps

jps Active Member

course, you get a spring football warm-up with the summer 7-on-7.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We love it here! Cain't git enough of it! Wags the dog! Them other sports is just filler between football, recruiting, spring football, 7-on-7 camps and flu season.
    Yew think we'd suspend football season for sum bitty ol' flu?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah, there is spring football in Florida, usually we'll cover all of the local scrimmages that cap it off.

10. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Mississippi has it, although some of the smaller schools will skip it if their baseball teams are doing well (a lot of kids play both sports, and the baseball playoffs finish up a week or two before graduation). Schools do different things for a spring game. Some will have a scrimmage with another school or a few of them will get together for a jamboree. Others will just have an intrasquad scrimmage.
    We might shoot a picture the first day of practice, then cover the spring game if it's in town. The story will be a wrapup of sorts more than a gamer -- who did well, did the coaches try anything new, what are the question marks heading into the season. That sort of thing.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Texas only allows it for Class 4A and 5A schools. They get (I think) 10 practice sessions over a 3-week window. Those teams that conduct spring practices are required to start two-a-days a week later in August. No interschool activity allowed in the spring.

One of our teams is not doing spring football this year because both of their QBs are in baseball, which is in the playoffs. Of course, thanks to the UIL, all that is now on hold.

12. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Tennessee has it. I don't remember any coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted