1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is from journalismjobs.com.

Midwestern resort town newspaper seeks extraordinary sports editor who is ready for the challenge of maintaining the excellent local sports coverage our veteran 30-year sports editor has maintained and expand it to meet the challenges of the new digital media era. Award-winning 26,000 circulation daily in a city where the cost of living is as low as it goes, and the opportunity for fun in your off-time is abundant. Our revered sports editor plans to retire as soon as we find the right person to fill his big shoes. The right candidate will savor the challenges and the opportunities that exist in a changing industry. We're looking for someone with at least three years (preferably five years) solid experience leading a sports desk and likes the idea of covering more than 20 area high school sports programs, and everything else, from little league to bowling. And you'll need to bring that coverage to readers both in print and online. We have the tools if you have the guts. You also will need to embrace our community and be able to re-locate for the long run. Job requires an innovative leader with stamina, extreme organizational skills, passion and great diplomacy so you can respond to readers who never get enough of what we do and won't be afraid to tell you exactly what they think. If you think you've got what it takes tell us why in an e-mail to sportseditor9@yahoo.com and include your resume.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

There are resorts in the Midwest?

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You know the Midwest is a terribly large place. Could be the Dakotas, could be Nebraska (bleech), could be Indiana. Woulda been nice to see it narrowed down a wee bit.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the locale be listed in the thread title, per SportsJournalists.com guidelines?

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The ad doesn't list a locale.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

French Lick, maybe? That's a resort town...

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Maybe it's Wisconsin Dells. You know, cover 20-plus high schools AND the Tommy Bartlet show. :)

Oh wait ... after last summer, Lake Delton looks like this now:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I debated before posting but I figured if I posted where I saw the ad, folks interested would look for themselves. I don't like blind ads but we've got a lot of guys and gals out there looking for work. I'm just trying to be helpful.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

the ad should just say, "we're looking for a new sports editor but haven't gotten rid of the one we have now."

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think you're right. There's really no other explanation for such an ad.

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Who the hell would apply for a job in "parts unknown"? Do they think sports journalists are that desperate?

OK, don't answer that.

Must be a shithole if they're too embarassed to post the town.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Can't be a shithole. It's a resort town.

Draft saved Draft deleted