1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former southern sports talk radio host sentenced to 5 years in prison

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HackyMcHack, Feb 24, 2009.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but former "Conference Call" and "Southern Sports Tonight" radio host Scott McKinney, a former member of the Ole Miss sports information staff, was given a five-year prison sentence today following a guilty plea for defrauding investors.

Link: http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/mckinney_15381___article.html/talk_host.html

2. micke77

micke77 Member

damn.
    i wanna say that program called us several years ago for some insight into southern football teams, etc. name looks familiar.
    hell, the defrauding crap is reaching into the sports world. not that it wasn't already there, but at a time when everything dealing with investing/finances seems to uncover somebody doing somebody else wrong.

3. 50 YEARS PROBATION?
    Holy god, that's a lot of piss tests.
    "Bubba in solitary, you're next..."

4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Scott: So, Mr. Beatty, any advice?

Ned: SQUEAL!

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

"Coming to you live from the Mississippi State Penitentiary in Parchman, Miss., it's Rebel Hotline, with Scott McKinney and Ole Miss booster Dickie Scruggs. Next up on the program, Dickie will tell us how in 2004 he flew his private jet out to SoCal to swipe Ed Orgeron out from under Pete Carroll's nose!"

Col. Reb is crying, indeed.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I had like four names in my head as this page loaded. I was wrong on all counts. Damn.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And since we're talking about the south, the four names were all the same person.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We'll find out soon what COLLAR-driven sports talk sounds like.

I don't even know what that means ....

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, his attorney asked for probation ... in lieu of any prison time.

Judge threw the book mainly, I think, because there was evidence he'd pulled a similar stunt (think "The Producers," but without Uma Thurman and with a sports talk program rather than a Broadway show) in Mississippi at some point in the past.

If I recall the details correctly, it all came unwound for him because he sold 49 percent of his show to at least three guys who, as fate would have it, found themselves sitting around a table at a restaurant one afternoon watching him do the show, then got to comparing notes.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I know of other folks who wouldn't spit on McKinney if he was on fire because they say he didn't pay them for writing.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I was so hoping this was Herb Winches

12. Notepad

Notepad Member

They should tack on an additional 6-8 months in lockdown because of the guy's hair.

Draft saved Draft deleted