1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

67 years ago today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, Jun 6, 2011.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Germany still loses --- badly --- but it takes another year, millions more die, and maybe we drop the bomb there, too.

FWIW: 80 percent of Germany's forces and 90 percent of its casualties were on the Eastern front. The West got Germany Lite.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And, on top of that, if we don't invade successfully, I know I'm not the only one here to subscribe to the theory that the Red Army doesn't stop at Berlin.

My father spent 11 days in Belgium at the height of the Bulge. He was the only non-doctor from his medical unit -- and my dad was the company clerk to a MASH unit attached to the 10th Armored -- not given a gun and sent to the front. Instead, he was left behind to tend to the first several waves of wounded in what passed for a house.

By himself. For 11 freakin' days. During the coldest winter Northern Europe saw in 80 years. He buried his dog tags, lest he be overrun, the Germans see he was Jewish and shoot him on the spot.

To this day -- and he turns 97 in September -- he does not do cold. Period. I've been trying to get him to move closer to me, but it's too cold for him. Even in northern LA County.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Facing the ultimate pair of enemies, led by master-race-predicated assholes, will do that.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Really loving some of these stories.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

And lets not forget the German incompetence in responding to the Normandy invasion. There were several Panzer divisions nearby, but did not respond because Rommel and Field Marshall von Runstedt needed to get permission from Hitler to launch a counter-attack.

Draft saved Draft deleted