1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

66th Annual Golden Globe Nominations Announced

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bostonbred, Dec 11, 2008.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Good question.

Burn After Reading fucking sucked, but the politics of this industry helped it out quite a bit.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Point is, like Brando in Streetcar, Langella (and Sheen) has been doing this gig for years and years.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

So?
    When Red Smith finally was in line for a Pulitzer, did somebody say -- nah, Red, you've been at it too long.
    Stage acting and film acting -- similar, but not the same.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

On the same material, staged in the film as a play.... close enough.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Don't understand all the hate for Burn After Reading. I enjoyed it. It wasn't the Coen Brothers' best work by any means, but still better than most of the dreck out there. Maybe the bar is set too high when it comes to those guys.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't know who to root for for Best Actress in a drama. Jolie and Winslett are probably my favorite actresses working today.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That's fair. But it isn't Oscar material, that's all.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No, definitely not Oscar material. It's no "Old Country," but it was a fun way to spend a couple of hours.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I think its a comedy/drama about two Irish hitmen holed up in Brussels for a time. They discuss their views on lif/death yada, yada, yada.

I do want to see Milk and the trailer for Frost/Nixon looks pretty good.

10. Paul Scofield would disagree with you.

11. I was totally out of touch with movies this year. I'm almost ashamed.

Tropic Thunder not getting nominated for Best Comedy is a travesty, and extremely surprising. Cruise and Downey Jr. were awesome.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Gotta see The Wrestler. Rourke, Tomei with nominations and Springsteen got a nomination for Original Song.

Draft saved Draft deleted